Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Access data from SQL or other odbc sources

Access data from SQL or other odbc sources

I have looked at creating additional tables and fields and it looks like a real chore with the SDK. If I just use the end-user interface to add fields, it looks like I can only add fields to the main contact records (flat file). And that pulldowns can be additional tables, but are NOT related to any particular other field. So, the SDK seems to be the only way to add more tables and fields.

Lots of classes and compiling and a lot of work ;(

SOOOoooo, I was wondering if there was some way like OLEDB or ODBC component to access data from external database tables to display on the CONTACT screen forms. I understand that maybe these fields will be READ ONLY. That is fine. I'm just thinking that an external program will be MUCH QUICKER to develop, and then if I can get access to those data tables and fields and display them onto the Contact screen (via some key like customer ID) then I would be able to accomplish what I want.

BTW: The examples that I downloaded for creating a new subentity and dashboard control were WAY out of date and needs to be updated and were missing the dashboard project template in the zip file. Very frustrating.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

Davie

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Access data from SQL or other odbc sources

You can create a Plugin to display external data on a table.

Have you tried one of the third-party tools to quickly add custom tables? I use itTables if that's a help

Thanks for the info. I am aware of this,but I WANTED to know how do do it. IU want to write this plug in. So, does anyboidy out there know how to write such a plugin?

I am not looking for generalites that a typical end-uiser would want, I am wanting specifics becuase I am a programmer.

Thanks

Davie

Employee

Just to make sure I understand the scenario, you'd like to create tables external to Act and bring that table data into act?

If this is the case it's certainly possible. I'll assume that we're able to read in the values from the external database, once we have those values we can use the Act API to capture the fields we're interested in updating, so the sudo code would be something like:

DBFieldDescriptor myField = ActApplication.ActFramework.Contacts.GetFieldDescriptor("TBL_CONTACT.USER10", true);

myField.SetValue(Contact, value);

You can connect to custom entities (tables) in Act via the OLE, but it gives read only access, in order to update field values you'll have to utilize the SDK.

Matthew Wood
Act! SDK Support
Community Moderator

So, if there a real-life example of having some fields on the contact screen comming from an external database? The pseudocode you showed looked something like visual basic. Is that NOT the same as usnig the SDK? It's all programming.

Is there a clear example (maybe a zip) that shows how to get a field from a sql table into the contact screen. IE: Not pseudocode, but real stuff that really works.

Thanks, I thnk you're going in the right direction

Davie

Nickel Elite Contributor

This control is what youare looking for:

http://community.act.com/t5/Sage-ACT-Developer-Downloads/Contact-Ole-DB-Grid-Show-External-SQL-Data-...

Source code to this control:

http://community.act.com/t5/Sage-ACT-Developer-Downloads/Contact-OLE-DB-Grid-Source-code/td-p/34014

In case you want to change any source code itself.