Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Accepted Solution

ACTOLEDB2.1 - SQL joining HISTORY and CONTACT

Highlighted
Nickel Elite Contributor

Re: ACTOLEDB2.1 - SQL joining HISTORY and CONTACT

For what it's worth - I just ran both of these statements though the OLEDB2 provider for Sage ACT! 2012 and both worked without issue.

Highlighted
Bronze Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes, most of our Impact Report Designer beta sites do not see this issue either but a few have.

By the way we are posting the public beta of the reporting tool in a few days. Here are some highlights:

Simple wizard to create complex parent-child report            Report Wizard

Simple query builder for the novice user                             Query builder simple

Advanced query builder for complete SQL control               Query builder advanced

Complete page and column formatting                                Columns and formatting

Powerful scripting engine supports VB or c#                       Advanced scripting

Separate end-user runtime licensing                                  Runtime licensing

Export to pdf, html, mht, rtf, xls, cvs, text, xml, image            Page preview and export

Doubles as a dashboard creator!                                       Dashboard creator

Instant Data Dictionary from the ACT! Database

Implements ACT!’s  security when running report

Thanks

-- Jim Durkin

www.DurkinComputing.com

Highlighted
Copper Contributor

I am developing a reporting software that needs to know to whom the activity was assigned when it was cleared.  In Activity, this is the Organizer field; however, I checked History for a similar field, and while my best guess was leveled on Record Manager, neither it nor any of the other fields appeared to be History's equivalent to Organizer.

Highlighted
Employee

The record manager field and the organizer for the activity will often not be the same. Is there some reason why we can't use the organizer column from the activity table? 

Matthew Wood
Act! SDK Support
Community Moderator
Highlighted
Solution
Accepted by topic author bconner26
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Nickel Elite Contributor

Matt - it looks like we don't have a way to join History back to the originating Activity using the OLEDB2 views. 

I'll support Matts statement though and highlight a logic problem that's going to manifest with assumptions about organizer field:

It's possible that someone other than the organizer of an activity clears an activity.  There are several different use cases there, but if there's one standard assumption to make related to clearing activities and who actually "actioned the activity" it's probably better to go with the History create user field.  

Which field you use on your report will depend on how a customer organizes their calendar information.  If a customer rolls activities up to record managers (who might have other users clear activities) and you want to roll up to that level for reportting then that field is sufficient for use, if an organization is more employee hierarchy based - it's probably better to go with create user and group histories created by users together.  

Are you building a generic report or is there a specific customer requirement in mind to create the report?

Highlighted
Copper Contributor

It's generic.  The business model we had in mind was that the user who should receive credit for an activity is the one to whom the activity was assigned, even if they're not the ones who clear the activity.

Highlighted
Nickel Elite Contributor

I'm not trying to convinice you otherwise but I think the more probable generic use case is to give credit to the person who cleared the activity/created the History.  Case in point - one of my guys is out today and I had to sit in on their meeting for them.  I cleared the activity, but it would be erroneous to report that the absent employee (who was still the meeting organizer) should be credited with this as they weren't even present for the meeting.

Highlighted
Copper Contributor

Okay, thanks for the help guys.

Highlighted
Bronze Super Contributor

Allen,

What is the status of adding the ActivityID field to the history table?

"see what you mean - we missed bringing in the right ID to link that information up correctly. I can tell if a history came from clearing an activity witht hat information, but I can't link back to the originating activity itself. 

I'll talk to the engineer here - optimally I'd like to simply see the ActivityID as a field in the History view (you shouldn't need to join this through)."

Thanks

-- Jim Durkin

Highlighted
Nickel Elite Contributor

We're loking at this for the Sage ACT! 2013 release.