Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT! and VB6

ACT! and VB6

Can I get ACT! to work with VB6?

I can add a reference to the database, and add fields etc. however I want to obtain and use the current ACT! record, linking a database doesnt do this for me (unless i am doing something wrong!)

Hope you can help.

Silver Super Contributor

Re: ACT! and VB6

Kevin Ritch has written some middleware that you would need to use to do it.  He provides an SDK interface to it.  Depending on your requirements that would probably be the best solution for you.  Basically what you need is a piece of software that converts from your VB6 calls to .NET calls.  That is what his software does.  You can contact him at the phone number on his website v8software.com.  If you want to read about he SDK you can follow this link http://v8software.com/MiddleWareSDKDocumentation.pdf.

Stan

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
ACT! Certified Consultant
ADS Programming Services, Inc.
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Click Here to Purchase Act!

does ACTOLE no longer work?

Employee

The first version of the OLEDB is now obsolete, the OLEDBv2 should be able to provide all of the same functionality

Matthew Wood
Act! SDK Support
Community Moderator
Silver Super Contributor

You can't get the "current record" using the OLEDB.  It also doesn't let you update the record from your program.

You should probably look at upgrading to VB.NET.  It's pretty painful but once you've done it you never want to go back.

Stan

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
ACT! Certified Consultant
ADS Programming Services, Inc.
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Click Here to Purchase Act!
Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thanks Stan :-)

OKAY - Here's how Middleware works.   It is a DLL that runs when Act! runs.  It is simply DROPPED into the Act! PlugIns Folder.

Middleware keeps looking at a SHARED binary file for a COMMAND.

So in VB6 (or ANY other programming language) you simply update the SHARED file with one of 80 commands.

For example "SAVE".  That will EXPORT the Current Contact Lookup into a Tab Delimited Text File.

When ADDING/EDITING records, you will need to write the data you want put into Act! into FLAT ASCII text files - before issuing your command to the SHARED binary file.

So there are NO components, or DLLs or OCX's etc etc that you need to be concerned with.

There's NO references to be added.

Nothing involving the Windows Registry either.

It works with EVERY Version of Microsoft Windows.

And it also gives you the ability to see a LIVE Connection String if you want to use ODBC - in case that's what you want to do.

It is a PURE AND VERY VERY VERY SIMPLE solution.

Because Act! "LOADS" ALL of the plugins that are in the plugIns Folder - so all you do is store Middleware.dll into that folder ONE TIME.

After that - you can write any number of Act! Links, AddOns, Importing or Exporting tools as you like.

There's NO registration with V8Software either.

It is 100% Royalty Free.

And there is NO CHARGE to get middleware.  It is FREE to Developers.

And you need know nothing about the Act! SDK, nor even Frameworks or Dot Net.

As I said - ANY Programmer can use ANY Programming Language to link ANY System or ANY Database or ANY Application to Swiftpage Act!

The NEW Documentation should be ready in JANUARY 2014.

Kind regards,

Kevin

Copper Contributor

The latest version of Middleware is available. It works with Act! 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 AND 2014.

You can download it free (Royalty-Free, No Registration required) with Full Documentation from

http://MiddlewareSDK.com

Cheers,

Kevin

PS Happy New Year