Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT Remote PHP Connection

Copper Contributor

Re: ACT Remote PHP Connection

Is there any restrictions on this connection? Any ports I need to open and etc. Currently I'm trying this and it's giving me HTTP 500 error, Is this because of firewall or I need to change some other values on ACT ?

Platinum Elite Contributor

Platinum Elite Contributor
Bronze Super Contributor

Why not create a web service on you PHP mySQL server to push/pull data. Then create an ACT plugin using VB or C# to push or pull data from this web service. Your PHP web service will push/pull XML formatted files which have no issues with firewalls.

Set the ACT plugin to poll the web service for changes every minute or so or quicker if you want a faster refresh on the ACT desktop. 

-- Jim Durkin

www.durkincomputing.com

Copper Contributor

Hi Jim,

Can you explain this a bit more please and also will it be possible for me to create a web service on my shared web domain hosting to achieve this?

Bronze Super Contributor

Creating a web service on your shared domain may not be possible. You may need to step up to a virtual server versus a shared one. It should be very inexpensive. I think Godaddy has a package for 2 dollars a month.

Here is a link to creating an ASP.NET web service:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/8wbhsy70(v=vs.90).aspx 

Here is a link for PHP web service:

http://www.kirupa.com/web/mysql_xml_php.htm

Hope this helps

-- Jim Durkin

Copper Contributor

Hi Jim,

Thanks for your answer but these all seems like very complicated solutions, I need something more simple. Are there any other ways to achieve this ?

Thanks

Bronze Super Contributor

I'm not sure of a simpler solution, maybe another developer with more PHP experience can chime in.

Since you stated you need to read/write to the ACT database you need to access the ACT framework. You should not write directly to the ACT SQL tables doing so can cause data integrity problems.

By entering values directly into the tables you are bypassing the business logic layer including: Security Model,  Data Integrity, Field Triggers, Smart Notes Triggers,  Stored procedures, Sync Logs,  Field linking,  ect

Check out this thread Developer looking to access database directly

Hope this helps

-- Jim 

Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thanks for your answer Jim, it cleared many things in my mind, so theoratically speaking if I write to fields which aren't linked with any other field or fields like true or false and etc. I shouldn't have any problems with data integrity. Though I think your web service solution might be the only answer for this problem so could you explain that solution a bit more in detail I think I will have to develop this service.

Bronze Super Contributor

In theory yes but in practice I would never let an add-on write directly to the DB. You may use a field which the end-users change properties of at a later date such as limiting the data entry to a pick list. 

Take a look at the two links above. Both are simplified web services for ASP.Net and PHP.

Hopt his helps

-- Jim Durkin