Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT Plugin Development: How to access an ACT! Control on the Contacts View.

Astute Commentator

ACT Plugin Development: How to access an ACT! Control on the Contacts View.

By the way, thank you for the presentation on the plugins. It got me started writing them...

However, I am having a challenge that I can't seem to resolve.

I am trying to access a few of the controls on the Contacts View Screen and change their behavior.

For example, I am trying to change the Business Phone Number field to automatically call a number i.e. so the 

business phone number field would look like:

(512)890-9090

So if you click on the number, it calls through the modem on a laptop.

Does anyone have a code sample on:

1- How to find the control.

2- How to change it's color and add a link to it so that when it is clicked that it performs a function.

3- Also, how can I find the text next to the business phone number and replace it wither with a link or with a button.

I've got all the coding on the calling side written. However, I just can't figure out how to change the control to do a function when clicked.

Please, any code or hints where to find a solution for this would be great.

T

Astute Commentator

Re: ACT Plugin Development: How to access an ACT! Control on the Contacts View.

Wow, this posting has been on this forum for almost 1 week and not a single reply. Is nobody from the ACT! development group reading these questions? I thought on the webinar that the ACT! dev. support folks were going to be more active.
Bronze Elite Contributor

Hi Thatch2,

I'm thinking it might be easier to write your own custom control than to get down and dirty going through Windows.Form.Controls collection. 

Vivek Gargav
Caldere Associates Ltd.
www.caldere.com
vgargav@caldere.com
My Blog
Astute Commentator

Vivek,

Thanx. However, that does not resolve my issue. I thought the ACT! development team was going to be more involved in this board after watching the plugin video. I guess I was mistaken. 

Nickel Elite Contributor

We do frequently check this board, however some questions are harder than others to answer, or in some cases our ACC community has better field responses to topics.  

Check with the Durgan toolkit I know that tool extensively accesses ACT! views and controls at runtime. 

Astute Commentator

Allen,

Thank you for your response. Excuse my ignorance, what is the Durgan Toolkit? Is it part of the SDK?

ACC's tend to be primarily integrators and they do not, in general, develop software for ACT!. So it would be nice to have someone from the ACT! API post some new code into this forum so that developers can create better applications for ACT!. As of now, I still do not have an answer to my question and it has been on this forum over 2 weeks. A request like mine should only take a small sample of code.

It would be incredibly helpfull to have a qualified developer from ACT! just answer basic coding questions. I am not asking for full coding guidance, but for some simple snippets of code to speed up development. I think ACT! would benefit tremendously from this. Better code, better addon products! Wow, who'd thought!

T

Nickel Elite Contributor

Allen -

I'm developing a plugin that scans for intelligence before a poster can submit a comment - do you think there's a market for that?

Richard Brust
ACT! Certified Consultant
richard@rbrDataSolutions.com
Astute Commentator

As my Dad used to say, there's always a moron in the forest. Richard, is your ACC support as good as your comments?