Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT Outlook Integration

Copper Super Contributor

ACT Outlook Integration

Has anyone played around with the field integration with Outlook?

Most of my customers are using a DID (phone) field for Contacts in their databases and there is currently no way to sync that number with Outlook.

I have been looking at  the Act.Framework.DataExchange.Outlook.OutlookContactMap.xml and can see what is being exchanged however manipulation of this file seems to do anything. Am I on the right track?

I am also looking for a simple way to put address details etc in the body of a synced activity (the way ACT used to do it pre 2009) so these details are available to view in the Outlook calendar. Can anyone offer any advice here?

Please note that I am not interested in any paid 3rd party solutions such as 123sync.

Brett Merriman
ACT! Certified Consultant
Action CRM
Nickel Elite Contributor

Re: ACT Outlook Integration

Yes - I have used the .XML file to remap fields from Outlook and Sage ACT! - You can concatenate fields by using the | in the mapping but - be aware that doing so is unidirectional - meaning on subsequent syncs the data from the concatenated instance will be the data in the target record as well (in your case the address data in Details in Outlook will make it to the details in ACT! as well).

You do need to restart the Outlook Sync service after modifications to the XML before you start seeing an effect - and I strongly suggest you save off your original Mapping file as a separate file to be able to quickly recover should you map fields incorrectly (I usually backup the DB as well).

At one point I believe this was the same file used by the Outlook Import for mapping, but I don't know if that is still the case.

Copper Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the reply Allen.

I have had a play (after backing everything up of course) but am still having no success.

Here is the scenerio...

• Created a new ACT phone field called "Direct" which appears in the structure as "PHONE_DIRECT_NUMBERDISPLAY"
  • Have existing field in Outlook called "Primary Phone" which the framework .xml knows as "PRIMARYPHONE"
  • Created a new entry in the .xml as follows:
<Association>
    <Field Name="PRIMARYPHONE"/>
    <Field Name="PHONE_DIRECT_NUMBERDISPLAY"/>
</Association> 

Restarted and synced. No transfer of the Direct numbers.

Obviously missing something but am blind to my options. I would be grateful if you could guide me a little further.

Brett Merriman
Action CRM
Nickel Elite Contributor

From memory the field name needs to be the literal column name - in this reference rather than the Alias.

Your custom field should look something like CUST_SomeName_SomeNumber in the mapping file.

Copper Super Contributor

You are correct - they do need to be the column name, though in this case, the name does not have a number in it because it is a telephone field and has _NUMBERDISPLAY as it's ending.

Any thoughts as to why it will not copy this field across?

Brett Merriman
Action CRM
Nickel Elite Contributor

I do have an idea - Phone field types are enumerated as table functions not in the table schema structure so I think this might have to do with the issue with mapping this.  I hadn't picked up this was a phone data type (I have been using character data types), but I bet that's the issue - because of the way we handle these data types in the schema I suspect that is surfacing as an issue for the mapping. 

I'll talk with the engineers who programmed this area tomorrow and get their thoughts on this.  There are other parts where we already do this - Addresses, and existing Phone fields so we're already some how abstracting those fields, I just don't know if our mapping code scans those schema structures for additional columns before executing.  I should have more info tomorrow. 

Copper Super Contributor

Hi Allen,

Did you manage to get any further with this?

Brett Merriman
Action CRM