Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT! OLEDB and .UDL files

Nickel Elite Contributor

ACT! OLEDB and .UDL files

I learned a lesson today I thought I'd pass on for anyone who uses the ACT! OLEDB 2 provider and likes to use Microsoft's Data Link properties to configure OLEDB connections.

If you are on a 64 BIt OS creating a .udl file and opening it up will only display the 64 bit OLEDB drivers available on your system.  If you want to display the 32 bit providers you need to open the .udl with the 32 bit version of the OLE DB Core Services program.  Since the OLE DB program is a dll you need to spool up the WOW 64 rundll32 exe and pass in the 32 bit OLEDB provider.  Here's the command argument to get this running:

C:\Windows\syswow64\rundll32.exe "C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\System\Ole DB\oledb32.dll",OpenDSLFile C:\Users\aduet\Desktop\Allen.udl

This is another hidden pain of upgrading to 64 bit OS, I keep telling myself all the extra RAM is worth it but the laptop never uses more than 2.5 GB of RAM anyway...

Hope this helps.

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: ACT! OLEDB and .UDL files

My desktop is currently sitting at 6GB of 10GB in use... and, as I have a 12GB OST file, I'd love a 64bit version of ACT! so I can use the 64bit version of Office :-)