Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT OLE DB

Accepted Solution Solved
Bronze Elite Contributor
Accepted Solution

ACT OLE DB

I have a client who needs a higher level of reporting than the ACT reports can give. I thought I could use the ACT OLE DB to extract the data either in to an Excel work book or Access tables and set up reports from there. Both worked - but - the data was useless as the UID fields to link the tables together was not exported.

I can have Contacts, Activity and History but no way to link them. Am I missing a trick or is the OLE DB deliberately crippled. I am aware that there is also an Actreader.exe but that needs loads of money to buy it. There is also the SA password for direct linking but again at a price.

If the internal reports and OLE DB does not give the required information  why is SAGE charging just to get a decent link to the data held within the database or am I missing something?

Your advice would be very much appreciated as I do not want to have to pay to link to the database if the result is not going to be acceptable to the client.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author ch1p
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Bronze Elite Contributor

Re: ACT OLE DB

Thanks for all your help.

I now have an Access database with tables linked from ACT 2010 and I have created relationships, queries, and reports.

It does all I wanted and I am kicking myself I had not tried this before. The only problem I have is when I run refresh Linked Table Manger it reports it has successfully completed the refresh but I am not convinced it is updating the data.

2 questions and I know that I am straying from ACT issues but do you know how to make the linked tables manager update and is there a way to get Access to automatically refresh the linked tables with ACT.

I am now thinking of going the whole hog and looking at the SA password solution but would like to try before I buy, don't know if that is possible. 

View solution in original post

All Replies
Platinum Elite Contributor
Bronze Elite Contributor

Many thanks Mike

The information I found must have been out of date.

I value your input and appreciate your reply.

Nickel Elite Contributor

When you use OLEDB you can specify a SQL statement instead of a table to extract data into your target application.  This might be a better approach than to try to realted data sets in an app like Excel (which isn't oriented this way).  The provider itself does expose ID's for linking etc...

The OLEDB2 provider in ACT! 2010 is quite easy to write query for and exposes Activities (OLEDB doesn't).

Regards,

Allen 

Solution
Accepted by topic author ch1p
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Bronze Elite Contributor

Thanks for all your help.

I now have an Access database with tables linked from ACT 2010 and I have created relationships, queries, and reports.

It does all I wanted and I am kicking myself I had not tried this before. The only problem I have is when I run refresh Linked Table Manger it reports it has successfully completed the refresh but I am not convinced it is updating the data.

2 questions and I know that I am straying from ACT issues but do you know how to make the linked tables manager update and is there a way to get Access to automatically refresh the linked tables with ACT.

I am now thinking of going the whole hog and looking at the SA password solution but would like to try before I buy, don't know if that is possible. 

Platinum Elite Contributor

Allen, I couldn't find anything... but just thought I'd confirm:

Is there any reason why one would use OLEDB (instead of OLEDB2) in ACT! 2010 or is it just there for backwards compatability for links created with previous versions?

Nickel Elite Contributor

It's just there for backward compatibility.
Bronze Elite Contributor

Just to clarify,it was the OLE DB2 that I used.