Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT! OLE DB Provider on Windows7 64bit/SQL Server 2008 64bit not working?

ACT! OLE DB Provider on Windows7 64bit/SQL Server 2008 64bit not working?

We are trying to use the ACT! OLE DB Provider for Reporting 2.0 on a Windows 7 64bit machine with SQL Server 2008 64bit Standard Edition. I installed ACTOLEDB.dll and ACTOLEDB2.dll with regsvr32.exe, but the provider is not visible in Excel/ODBC Admin and SQL Server. We are using ACT!2011 premium.

Is the provider not working on 64bit machines?

One more problem:

If we login to the SQL Server with ACTREADER or ACTREPORT crendentials, we cannot open the views CONTACT/VRP_CONTACT due to the following error:

Msg 8169, Level 16, State 2, Line 2
Conversion failed when converting from a character string to uniqueidentifier.

What is the problem here?

Thanks

Employee

Re: ACT! OLE DB Provider on Windows7 64bit/SQL Server 2008 64bit not working?

[ Edited ]

The provider is a 32-bit dll, but should still work in 64 bit environments, just not with 64 bit applications, you should be able to find the 2.0 reporting provider in Other/Advanced when selecting from the list of available providers.

But if you'd like to verify this outside of an application, create a txt file, rename the extension to udl, this will create a small utility that will let you test your connection to the provider. 

For your login issues, your trying to use an ODBC account to login to the OLEDB reporting provider, the OLE takes an act username and password.

Matthew Wood
Act! SDK Support
Community Moderator

And that is one of our problems. We do not see any ACT! OLE DB provider.

Is there any installer for the OLEDB drivers or is it enough to call regsvr32.exe ACTDBOLE.DLL and regsvr32.exe ACTDBOLE2.DLL?

"The provider is a 32-bit dll, but should still work in 64 bit environments, just not with 64 bit applications, you should be able to find the 2.0 reporting provider in Other/Advanced when selecting from the list of available providers."

That means that we cannot create a Linked Server on our SQL Server (64bit) to our ACT! database? Do we need a 32bit SQL Server on our dev station?

Best regards

Christian

Employee

Is the provider listed in the UDL file? That should run as 32 bit and would verify if that' s the reason we're not seeing it.

I do think you'll need the 32bit SQL Server to use the provider.

Matthew Wood
Act! SDK Support
Community Moderator

If i double-click the udl file, i do not see ACT OLE DB Providers. Can i use the MS ODBC driver? How i have to set the connection string?

Christian

Employee

See this KB article for information regarding creating an ODBC connection.

Matthew Wood
Act! SDK Support
Community Moderator

I can setup ODBC connection, i can see the views, but when i'm trying to get data out of COMPANY i receive this error:

"Conversion failed when converting from a character string to uniqueidentifier."

So maybe the database is corrupt or the 64bit server is the problem.

Employee

I do have something else you can try.

From the SQL login page click options to expose the Additional Connection Properties.

In the window, enter Application Name= <put your USERID GUID here>, You'll need to get your userid from SQL, but you should be able to login to the database with your windows credentials. Once you've done this, reconnect and it should resolve the error message.

Matthew Wood
Act! SDK Support
Community Moderator

Thank you, you are so great!

Can i add this option to sp_addlinkedserver to create a linked server on our dev station?

Employee

Unfortunately, I do not know the answer to that one.

Matthew Wood
Act! SDK Support
Community Moderator