Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT! OLE DB Provider on Windows7 64bit/SQL Server 2008 64bit not working?

Highlighted

Re: ACT! OLE DB Provider on Windows7 64bit/SQL Server 2008 64bit not working?

I found it!!!

Use

APP=<put your USERID GUID here>

in provider string instead of

Application Name= <put your USERID GUID here>

Best regards

Christian

Nickel Elite Contributor

Accessing SQL in this way gives you user contextual access to SQL tables/views,etc...  

You should be able to access the OLEDB2 SQL views in a manner similar to using the provider.  Be aware this is an unsupported access method (you're really using SQL OLEDB or ODBC but gaining access with user context ala OLEDB2).  We do have some internal documentation on this, and I use it to write statements against OLEDB views, but there are some implementation concerns with doing this:

1.  Your conduit (ODBC) accesses the DB with what ever DB user permissions you use (I presume you're using SA?)

2.  Not all SQL resources or methods will behave properly when accessing through this method - if you're trying to hit anything other than our OLEDB views or core tables - I think you'll have issues.

3.  Even through technically you're in the DB as whatever SQL user you choose - I STRONGLY suggest you don't try to Update/Create or Delete from the DB through this interface.  Along with this being a violation of the EULA, you're likely to create data problems or data loss by doing so - Select statements should be OK.

As to your Linked Server question - technically you should be able to add a linked server using this connection interface.  For those who haven't done this before lookup T-SQL OPENQUERY - it's much faster than running a distributed query.

Good Luck!

Thank you for your reply. We just use SQL to read data from the OLE DB views. The OLE DB providers does not seem to work for us on our development system. So we had to create the linked server via SQL native client. We do not use sa, we use the ACTREADER account to read data. If you can give me more hints to install the OLE provider on a Windows 7 64bit with SQL Server 2008 64bit, let me now. But as i understand the 32 bit provider does not work in 64bit SQL server.

The reason why we need a linked server to the ACT db is, that we have different systems and databases and we need to join some data over this databases (no ACT system).

Best regards
Christian.
Nickel Elite Contributor

I created a post as to why the OLEDB provider isn't showing up on 64 bit OS - you have to explicitly run the 32 bit version of the MS OLEDB interface to see any 32 bity providers:

http://community.act.com/t5/Sage-ACT-Developer-s-Forum/ACT-OLEDB-and-UDL-files/td-p/166342