Do you mean 
Accepted Solution

ACT Database Access

Solution
Accepted by topic author hysezer
‎09-25-2015 03:20 AM
Employee

Re: ACT Database Access

You can also change this in the initial connection window for SSMS. From the query window, right click -> Connection -> Change Connection. Thjis will open the Connect to Database window, choose Options then go to the Additional Connection Parameters window.

From that window add "Application Name= <put your USERID GUID here>" and this will impersonate an act user and allow you to perform the query. As Stan has mentioned the problem is that the query you are trying to run has some security requirements and as a result needs a qualified Act user to execute.

Matthew Wood
Act! SDK Support
Community Moderator
Copper Contributor

Guys Thank you very much, adding the APP in my PHP connection string and  "Application Name=" in my SQL connection on Management Server solved the problems now  I can access all the data I wanted. Much appreciated..

Thanks again.

Copper Contributor

Quick follow up question guys, I changed my ACTADMIN, ACTREADER and sa users' passwords Smiley Happy

by any chance is there anyway for me to restore them or do I need to reinstall my ACT and get another copy of my database ?

Silver Super Contributor

There is a program in ACT! for Windows folder called SecurityCmdLnApp.exe.  I believe that program will reset all the passwords for you.

Stan

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
ACT! Certified Consultant
ADS Programming Services, Inc.
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Click Here to Purchase Act!
Copper Contributor

Hi Stan,

I couldn't reset my passwords and deleted my ACT and SQL Server and reinstalled them but now I'm having a different problem the ACT I installed is Version 14.1.108 and my old ACT was version 14.1.97.0 when I try to open my database on this new version ACT i got the warning that the database needs to be updated to work with this new version I click OK and everything goes well but it keeps working to update my database and my database doesn't gets updated, there is no error report or something like that it just stucks there. Is there anyway for me to install my older version of ACT, I couldn't find it online.

Thanks

hal

Hi hysezer,

I am thinking of getting sa password to allow me to extend ACT functions such as writing information to ACT database. But I am concerned about the product license policy. What do you think about getting sa password?

Just like you, I am developing my application in PHP, and integrate it through ContactWebContextBrowser.

I use actreader to read ContactID, and use external database to extend the system functions. The two systems' bridge is ContactID.  

I have some other information that I want to write into ACT database, while I want to avoid SDK development. The other reason is CompanyWebContextBrowser doesn't work for me. I cannot get CompanyID.

Copper Contributor

Hi Hal,

What I did for login purpose was to create another user from SQL Managment Studio and give that user the rights to modify database. I think purchasing sa password would not be necessary if you can install SQL Managment Studio, and since this user has the all the rights to modify database I don't have any problems with reading or writing anything to database.

Highlighted
hal

[ Edited ]
Hi Hysezer,

Yes, I though I only need a database user/account with w/r permission.

How can I create the user?

Do you mean you created such a user through MSudio by Windows Authorization Login rather than SA Login?

Thanks
Silver Super Contributor

Did you manage to get in the database?

Stan

If you would like to get more out of ACT! you can find an ACT! Certified Consultant near you by going to:www.act.com/acc.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stan Smith
ACT! Certified Consultant
ADS Programming Services, Inc.
(205) 222-1661
www.adsprogramming.com
www.actwebhosting.com
Click Here to Purchase Act!
hal

hi wellmet,

thanks for your reply.

No. But I can ask my IT administrator to create a database user.

I tested the solution on my computer. It seems good to R/W database directly via such a user.

1) Login with Windows Authorization, not sa

2) Create a user with r/w permission on ACT7/database

3) Test to R/W a table. It is good!

2) Create another user with Owner permission on ACT7/database

3) Test to create a table. It works.

Any warning you want to give me regarding this solution?

Do you have a CompanyWebContextBroswer that can retrieve CompanyID? I want to use it to extend the company table.

I downloaded a Act.Devnet.CompanyWebContextBrowser v1.2 from the community. But it doesn't work for me.

Capture.PNG

Appreciate your reply.