Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

ACT! 9 SDK Issues

Tuned Listener

ACT! 9 SDK Issues

Perhaps one of you developers with some ACC background can help me.  I had ACT! 10 installed on my machine.  I uninstalled ACT 10, I also uninstalled the ACT7 instance of SQL Server 2005.  I still have SQL Server 2005 installed on my machine for other development purposes.  I installed ACT! 9, which installed both ACT! 9, and the SQL Express instance.  The problem I have now is that ACT! 9 will not run, and any calls I make to ActFramework.LogOn fail in the Licensing Provider, or fail via TargetInvocation Exception.

I have full install of VS 2008.  Also is there any way of doing ACT! Development without installing ACT!  Doing so is causing me major headaches.  I get the advantage of loose coupling in ActFramework, and leaning on the GAC, but it's making my life rather miserable right now.

--
Jason L. van Brackel
Tuned Listener

Re: ACT! 9 SDK Issues

So I solved my own problem eventually.

On the advice of an ACC I went through these steps to no avail.

• Uninstall ACT!
  • Uninstall SQL Server 2005
  • Uninstall SQL Server 2005 Support Files
  • Uninstall SQL Server 2005 SQL Native Client
  • Uninstall SQL Server 2005 VSS Writer
  • Uninstall MSXML6
  • Uninstall MSXML4 
  • Uninstall .NET Framework 3.5
  • Uninstall .NET Framework 3.0 SP1
  • Uninstall .NET Framework 2.0 SP1
  • Reboot
  • Install ACT! 9

At this point ACT! still crashes in ActSage.exe on startup.  The ActFramework is still throwing and TargetInvocation Exception with inner exceptions back to the license provider. 

After this I brought out the big guns

• Uninstall ACT! 9
  • Uninstall SQL Server 2005 Support Files
  • Uninstall SQL Server 2005 SQL Native Client
  • Uninstall SQL Server 2005 VSS Writer
  • Uninstall MSXML6
  • Run the ACT! Uninstaller Utility
  • Reboot
  • Install ACT! 9 AGAIN
  • Hear Hallelujah Chorus as ACT! Fires up
The Uninstall cleaned up things from the GAC, system32 folder and a couple other places that the default Uninstaller missed.  I'd pass on the log file, but I forgot to save it.  At some point I'm going to have to reinstall the Frameworks 3 and 3.5, but I'm not touching that third rail for now. 
--
Jason L. van Brackel
Tuned Listener

Well this seems to have broken the Microsoft.Build.Engine 3.5, even though the project should be targeting the 2.0 Framework.  Guess I'll be reaching for that 3rd rail.
--
Jason L. van Brackel
Tuned Listener

Just to close out this thread.  After reinstalling .NET Framework 3 and 3.5 I'm back up and running at full stream.
--
Jason L. van Brackel