Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

10.3 XCeed Errors - FYI

Tuned Listener

10.3 XCeed Errors - FYI

[ Edited ]

We're getting several reports of 10.3 users missing the XCeed.Zip (and its 2 Xceed references).  This of course breaks a few of our addon products that perform backups using the built-in backup process.  The zip component that ACT! used to use was from C1.  It seems to have been switched to the XCeed component now.

In looking at the CD source files, the XCeed files appear that they should be installed into the Program Files\Act\Act for Windows\ folder.  However, in doing this, external apps still cannot backup.  Only when I put the 3 XCeed files into the GAC does our apps begin to work again.  In 2009, they are installing into the GAC.

So once again, we're having to touch all of our customers and fix their ACT! install.

As of now, these appear to be updates to 10.0, 10.1 or 10.2 using the 10.3 update patch.

Message Edited by BigD on 07-24-2008 02:01 PM
Nickel Super Contributor

Re: 10.3 XCeed Errors - FYI

How exactly do you fix this issue, BigD?

I am having problems with backups failing...referencing temp files in use, referencing io exception related to xceed.zip, etc.

Could really use some guidance here.

Thanks.

Rita Kogstad
RKA Associates
Stamford, CT
Tuned Listener

Copy the XCeed files into the GAC.  They're in the CD installation folder under the \Program Files\Act\Act for Windows\ folder.

Xceed.Zip.dll

Xceed.FileSystem.dll

Xceed.Compression.dll

Go to Start, Run and type C:\Windows\Assembly  When the window opens up, just drag the 3 files into it.

Duane

Copper Contributor

Duane your correct, this is a problem in 10.03. It is being looked into for 10.03, but for now just copy those files over manually. It seems to be working ok in our latest build of 2009.

- Logan 

Tuned Listener

Logan,

Are there any potential licensing issues assocated with using the libraries in this manner, since it is a third-party library?

Jason

--
Jason L. van Brackel
Nickel Super Contributor

Tried this...didn't help with the problem I have backing up.
Rita Kogstad
RKA Associates
Stamford, CT
Copper Super Contributor

Just had an install go bad because of the 3 error messages about the xceed files could not be found in the source file ACT! 2008\PremiumEX\ACTWG\Program Files\ACT\ACTInstaldir\. The solution shown in the community forums seems to contain erroneous information. The solution stated:

Copy the XCeed files into the GAC.  They're in the CD installation folder under the \Program Files\Act\Act for Windows\ folder.

Xceed.Zip.dll

Xceed.FileSystem.dll

Xceed.Compression.dll

Go to Start, Run and type C:\Windows\Assembly  When the window opens up, just drag the 3 files into it.

I found them on the media that I downloaded from the partners site at this path: ACT! 2008\PremiumEX\ACT Internet Sync\Program Files\ACT\ACT for Windows\ACT Internet Sync

What a major pain this was to fix. Also, there was no GAC folder in Windows\Assembly to copy them to. Windows won't allow you to copy them just to the assembly folder. I worked around this by first uninstalling ACT!.  Couldn't do that through the Control Panel because I would get a 1308 error. Instead I used the ACT! Uninstaller, but left the SQL ACT7 instance alone since that had successfully installed. I then copied the media to the hard drive and moved the 3 xceed files to the folder that ACT! was expecting to find them when it installed. The good news is that it worked. Now I want to know who at Sage is going to cover my unbillable hours for having to fix this SNAFU?

While I'm at it, wouldn't it be nice if the 10.0.3 media on the partner site were somehow labeled to indicate that it included the 10.0.3 hot fix. This could have been an issue if I had been doing an install for a new employee at a company that had 30 other users on 10.0.3 without the hotfix. All of a sudden I now have to tell the client that we have to track down all of the other users and apply a hot fix immediately? What a nightmare that would be.

Ron Madara, ACC, APT

BrainSell Technologies.
(201) 853-9317
Tuned Listener

rmadara wrote:

What a major pain this was to fix. Also, there was no GAC folder in Windows\Assembly to copy them to. Windows won't allow you to copy them just to the assembly folder. I

Ron,

The GAC is the C:\Windows\Assembly folder (substitute C:\Windows for whatever your root Windows folder is).

And yes, it will let you drag files into it.  It's a special "view" of what looks like a folder and by dragging qualified files into it, will perform an Import of them into it.  Keep in mind files may not transfer in if they're still on a CD or contained within a Zip file.  The easiest way I've found to do it, is to put the files needed on my Desktop, open the GAC, then pop them in.  Whole operation should have taken no longer than a minute.

Duane

Copper Super Contributor

Hi Duane,

I am using Vista Ultimate. Under Tools/File Options, I have selected to see all files, hidden, system, etc. There is no GAC subfolder under Windows/Assembly.

Ron Madara, ACC, APT

BrainSell Technologies.
(201) 853-9317
Copper Contributor

Ron,

What Duane is saying is that "the GAC" is a nickname for the c:\Windows\Assembly folder.  There is no \GAC folder in the \Assembly folder.  The \GAC folder on the CD holds the libraries that should be imported into the c:\Windows\Assembly folder, ala "the GAC".  But since the actual path to "the GAC" varies by operating system, the nickname is often used to simplify the conversation/communication.

Just follow Duane's instructions: get the files off the CD, onto your desktop, or extract them from the archive onto your desktop.  Then open "the GAC" as he says, and drag/drop the files.  Don't try to "copy" and "paste" them, just drag and drop them.

Hope that helps,

Geoff

Geoff Blood ("The ACT! Customizer" )
The New Hampton Group

ACT Development Partner
Serving the ACC community since 1994