Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Smart Facebook viewing for web info

Nickel Elite Contributor

Smart Facebook viewing for web info

I've already posted an asp.net hosted version of this drop in to make your Facebook links go directly to contacts Facebook pages where you know their URL and search for all other contacts, but this is an easier local method to do the same (you don't have to find a web server to use this).

1.  Add a field to ACT! to capture the Facebook web URL's for your friends under contacts (I call mine FacebookURL)

2.  Add the FacebookURL field to a layout 

3.  Unzip this file to your local hard drive.

for Web info users - Copy to a folder path that DOES NOT have any spaces e.g.:

C:\Myfiles\CoolACTthings <-- OK

C:\Cool ACT things <-- NOT OK

4.  Add a link to Web info called Smart Facebook with a url pointing to your file save location.  Like:

C:/MyFiles/CoolACTThings/facebookintelli.html?furl={Contact.FacebookURL}&name={Contact.Contact} 

Note: make sure you have forward slashes and not back slashes in the URL 

5.  Use web info to check out a contacts Facebook page - once you drill down to the page you want to see (instead of the search screen) copy that Link (use the copy link button in web info) and paste that into your FacebookURL field  

6.  Now go to Smart Facebook link -  you should go to the URL you copied for that contact and the general contact search results for any contacts whose Facebook page URL you don't know.

I'm interested in hearing any feedback. 

Tuned Listener

Re: Smart Facebook viewing for web info

[ Edited ]

I found 1 problem.

1) The copy link button does not capture the complete URL. All it captured was the URL of the search (firstname + lastname). I had to use the Open Browser button and then copy the URL from the browser.

2) You really must make sure you don't use the \ sign for the path you put in the edit links area. The path must use the non-standard / sign.

Message Edited by hennesseystealth on 11-26-2009 11:42 AM
Message Edited by hennesseystealth on 11-26-2009 11:43 AM
Tuned Listener

[ Edited ]
Any chance to do something like this for LinkedIn and Plaxo?
Message Edited by hennesseystealth on 11-26-2009 11:43 AM
Nickel Elite Contributor

This is fairly easy to do yourself for other sites.

Attached is an example of modifying the same html from the previous post but for a Plaxo smart lookup instead.  In this case the resulting URL for the Web info tab looks like:

C:/MyFiles/CoolACTThings/plaxointelli.html?purl={Contact.PlaxoURL}&name={Contact.Contact} 

I changed the variable name from furl to purl so that my URL line would stay consistent but in reality all you need to do is edit the html with the line for var consearch = "http://.... " to whatever url you want to use.

Tuned Listener

Thanks for the information.  I do have a question.  What is that advantage to this approach vs creating a "smart" link like:

{Contact.FacebookURL}

vs

The extra code + C:/Users/XXX/Documents/ACT/facebookintelli.html?furl={Contact.FacebookURL}&name={Contact.Contact}

Both require the real URL be in an ACT database field, so I can't see what is the advantage of having an extra html page on the hard drive and then a much more complicated quiery. 

Nickel Elite Contributor

Good question.  You certainly can capture the URL into a field in ACT! then have a seperate Webinfo link for that field, what this method (the html and complicated query) does is allows you to have a single Web info entry and it drives you to either the Contacts page or a query of that contact's name depending on whether you have info on the contact or not.

So for Facebook - if I have the url's for my friends added in ACT! - when I select the Facebook link I go directly to their pages, for all other contacts it does a search on their name.  This is intended as a replacement for the Facebook address that comes out of the box - not intended for you to have 2 Facebook links in the Web info tab (kind of defeats the purpose). 

A Note - this is intended as an example of how you can do advanced customizations with the web info and browser control tabs in ACT!.  Following this example you could do some pretty creative stuff around things like integration - or contextual navigation based on if/else rules and ACT! data using these controls. 

Tuned Listener

[ Edited ]

That is a great comment. I wasn't thinking about eliminating the original links but that is much cleaner. I have the html built for LinkedIn but couldn't see how to post the file. The search statement for LinkedIn is compound:

"http://www.linkedin.com/search?pplSearchOrigin=GLHD&keywords=" + cname +"&search="; 

Also I had to change the Plaxo code to:

http://www.plaxo.com/search/index?keywords=

The original wasn't adding the name to the search box. 

Message Edited by hennesseystealth on 11-30-2009 05:12 PM
Tuned Listener

The new beta software (2011 Pro) has killed this code.  Do you have any solutions to make it work again?