Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Should DevNet SQL Chart Component Still work in 2012?

Bronze Super Contributor

Should DevNet SQL Chart Component Still work in 2012?

On my machine I just discovered that since moving to ACT! 2012, the SQL Component either just does nothing or I get those fun GDI error kind of Xs...

IS this just a fluke or is this component now no good for 2012?

Nickel Elite Contributor

Re: Should DevNet SQL Chart Component Still work in 2012?

[ Edited ]

The API in dashboards didn't change and this control runs on my new installation of Sage ACT! 2012 as well as an upgraded to 2012 from 2011 system I have in house.  

You might want to contact Pat Egen to see if they have seen any issues with this component as I believe she uses it quite a bit. 

This is the first I've heard of any issues with the component, if you're receiving GDI errors that's an indicator something else might be the underlying issue on that system.

Bronze Contributor

SQL Chart control broken after updating Version 14 to SP1

Not sure what changed with SP1, but the SQL chart control is broken.  Dashboards created the control are getting an error, Value cannot be Null - parameter key.  Did the oledb2 provider change?  Was there any kind of table modification.  Something has broken it for sure.

Patricia Egen
Certified ACT! Consultant, Trainer, Developer
www.egenconsulting.com
(423) 875-2652

Follow us on:

Visit our Popular ACT Wizards Page Wizards Here!

Bronze Contributor

Alan, on 2012 my dashboards also are broken.  I posted this on the forum as well.  Plus, can you tell me which purchased DLL's are utilized.  I know activequerybuilder and chartfx.  Are there others.  I want to make my dashboards click thru.

'

Patricia Egen
www.egenconsulting.com
(423) 875-2652

Follow us on:

Bronze Contributor

My post regarding them being broken is in the Developers Forum, not in the download forum.

Patricia Egen
www.egenconsulting.com
(423) 875-2652

Follow us on:

Bronze Super Contributor

Re: SQL Chart control broken after updating Version 14 to SP1

I too am seeing it not working.

I am pretty sure I used it on the 2012 beta, but when I recently upgraded my personal machine to 2012 SP1, the previously created dashes using DevNet Component are like the goggles - they do nothing!

I installed the DevNet files - is there anything else that needs to be installed?

Employee

This shouldn't require any additional installations. If time permits I should be able to test this myself this afternoon.

Also, I'm going to merge this thread with the one in developers download so we can keep all the discussion regarding this topic in the same thread.

Thanks.

Matthew Wood
Act! SDK Support
Community Moderator
Bronze Super Contributor

This is related, but not the same issue:

I notice now in v14 that in order to specify a picklist in the ACT.Datachart component (the default one that installs with ACT!) - you no longer can specify the name of a picklist to use it as a filter selection - you have to use the GUID of the picklist...

What's up with that?  If it weren't hard enough to develop custom dashboards and then implement for a client - now it gets even worse because if you do your development on your own machine, the GUIDs are not  going to match and you will have to not only copy the file, but then edit it to get the GUID of the picklist in the client database...

Yuck.

Nickel Elite Contributor

I think this has to do with the fact that we've updated the version of Chart FX we distribute with Sage ACT! 2012, but the SQL Chart control is built on an older version of Chart FX.

A couple of best practice items - where possible - use the SQL chart control to build the SQL but deploy to a datachart.xml to use that control for customers.  I understand this isn't always feasible, but where you can do this it will help you enjoy upgrade survivability as we thoroughly test the datachart control as part of a release.

If you are deploying the SQL chart control right now I'm working on a few options -

1.  Recompiling the control using the same version of Chart FX as Sage ACT! 2012.  

2.  Looking into modifying the machine.config file to allow directing requests for the older version of the chart FX based control to the older library.

I'l be out of the office for a portion of this month so I may not get a solution out on this till early next year - in the mean time any volunteers who can help track down work arounds - feel free to contact me and I'll send some test ideas your way.

Bronze Super Contributor

Alan -

I understand what you are saying - can work in a pinch.  However, some of us have really come to depend upon the SQL Chart component in our practices, so whatever can be done to keep it alive would really be appreciated.

The one problem with using for development and deploying via xml is if we have upgraded to 2012, means we need to maintain a an older version of ACT! just for SQL development - not to mention it's not just a cut and paste into the xml...

What  can we do to get this as a "real" part of ACT! moving forward?