Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

SMS Skype custom control - ACT! 2010 or higher

Nickel Elite Contributor

SMS Skype custom control - ACT! 2010 or higher

[ Edited ]

Here's a custom control using the sample code from a previous post where I specifically integrate with Skype to send the SMS.

Warning - you need Skype installed on your machine for this to work AND - you need Skype credits because Skype charges to send SMS messages (prices vary on where you're sending to).

This is meant as an example control - if you plan on using in production please let me know - there is some error trapping that should go into the control.

This deploys into tools - like a normal control, but I believe on some machines you may need to put the interop assembly into the GAC.  I'm a little short on time on testing multiple environments so if I could get a couple of feedback postings on install I'd appreciate it.

There are jpgs showing the control and the config of the control.  For anyone SMS ing internationally - there's a country code prefix (defaults to +1) property you can change.  If you already have the + country code format in your Mobile field in ACT! then just make this property blank, otherwise the control will add this +country code prefix to numbers before sending to Skype.

Enjoy. 

Message Edited by alduet on 06-14-2010 01:19 PM

Re: SMS Skype custom control - ACT! 2010 or higher

[ Edited ]

Platinum Super Contributor

Hello Jopen50,

Welcome to the ACT! Online Community!

The text in your response did not display.  This is most likely due to using Internet Explorer 9.  To post successfully you will need to set the Community web page to 'Compatibility View'.  To do this: access the Community > click on the 'Compatibility View' icon to the right of the web address field.

Greg Martin
Sage

Hi Allen

I use an Outlook Addin (Outlook SMS) which is integrated with the Outlook menus.

I would like to use this SMS service administered by SMS Officer to send SMS messages to my customers (low volume and one at a time).

Could you please guide me in How I can transfer the Mobile number, Contact Name, etc. from ACT! 2011 to the SMS opened from Outlook.

The message template opens from Outlook using the Shortcut: (Ctrl, Shift,T [^+t])

Many thanks in advance

Johan

Thanks for the TIP Greg. It now works .. Dough!!

Allen

Is there any settings I have to change to make this Skype SMS addin to work?

I have made the changes as per the Config.jpg, but cannot get it to send a SMS even though I have Skype credit.

I would like to use this addin regularly.

Best Regards

Johan

Nickel Elite Contributor

Hi Johan,

Are you trying to integrate your ACT! data to Outlook to use your existing SMS feature in Outlook or are you trying to SMS direct from ACT!?

If you are trying to SMS direct from ACTQ using Skype - what version of the Skype client are you using?

Hi Allen

My prefered method would be to send the SMS directly from ACT.

If I can use the SMS Outlook functionality and trigger it from ACT, I can use predefined templates, but will need to send the [MobileNo], [Contact Name] and two or three other values from ACT.

Failing that, the SKYPE addin that you have provided will also do the trick. I am using Skype version 5.1.0.512 on a Windows 7 Ultimate [64Bit] machine. Pressing the <Send> button does not do anything and does not enter any history.

Many Thanks

Johan

Nickel Elite Contributor

It looks like you've got the control on the layout - once you do make sure you select the properties of the control in layout designer and add the type of history you want recorded and your phone number in the SMSReplynumber property of the control.

In Skype Version 5.1 you should notice that the Skype application has a message in it that says ACTSage.exe is trying to communicate with it.  You can choose to allow or disallow this - you need to select allow to have the integration work.

FYI - you can also use the Outlook sync in Sage ACT! 2011 to send contacts over to Outlook, mobile, name etc... are kept in sync once you send them over, though this add-in has the advantage of recording a history.

Hi Allen

I have the properties as follows;

Default Coutry: <blank>

HistType: ToBeDone

SMSreplyNumber: <my mobile number>

In the Skype Advanced Settings, I have ActSgae = Allowed to use Skype

I can see that Skype wants to send the message as it is in a qeue stating the following when I hover over the entry;

17:04:04 PROTOCOL7

17:04:04 GET SKYPEVERSION

17:04:04 #3 CREATE SMS OUTGOING (and then my mobile phone number)

Beyond that, nothing happens. I dont receive the SMS and the history is not updated.

Many thanks, much appreciated.

Johan