Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Outlook inside of ACT!

Nickel Elite Contributor

Outlook inside of ACT!

This is the control we showed off at Insights and in various other presentations this summer using the MS Outlook interoperability components to bring portions of Outlook into ACT!.  The images show Outlook inbox and calendar and contact folders inside of an ACT! Dashboard.  Included in the zip attachment are the dashboard components and supporting interoperability components for this control.  Unzip this to the \tools directory and restart ACT! and you will be able to add these custom components on your dashboard.

You will need MS Office installed on your machine - specifically MS Outlook, I've tested this on Outlook 2003 and 2007 with ACT! version 10 (ACT! 2008) and higher.

Some notes

MS Office installations are notorious for having differing supporting components depending on upgrade, edition, version, etc... if you find you are having issues with using these components You may need the primary interop assemblies from Microsoft on your machine. You can download those here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=3C9A983A-AC14-4125-8BA0-D36D67E0F4AD&displa...

Let me know if you have any questions or suggestions on these components.

Enjoy!

Master Commentator

Re: Outlook inside of ACT!

[ Edited ]

WOW, this looks like a lot of fun!

When setting it up, I noticed in your picture of the outlook folder config the large window shows an email account. Mine shows nothing up here. is that right?  I figured out how to directly type in the folder name i want to display so i have recreated your demo and show a dashboard with an activities window and contact list window.

I installed the "outlook mailboax" as ne of my windows also and it show the list of emails just fine and right clicking gets me the outlook options.  In your dashboard display i see the list of folders in the littler window on the left. This wondow is blank on my dashboard. Any ideas?

Ive downloaded and installed the interops from microsoft. closed everything down, restarted etc.. still no joy.

I see youve tested this on versions up to ACT10 but im guessing thats the ACT11 Beta shown on your screenshot?

Im running ACT! by Sage 2009 (11.0) Version 11.0.0.367 and Outlook 2007 (12.0.6316.5000) Sp1 MSO (12.0.6320.5000)

Message Edited by matt pulsts on 10-29-2008 10:12 AM
Nickel Elite Contributor

Thanks for the reply. I should have specified here that there are actually 2 components available for the dashboard in thie zip file - the Outlook Folder which you have already discovered and a second component which displays the mailbox as seen in the screen shot.  The mailbox component does not have a configuration interface - also this component can be used as a control in the contact detail tab view (a contact filter option is provided there) - more to come on this in a separate thread. Can you confirm you are using this mailbox component instead of the folders component?

In this screen capture I'm running a very early alpha drop of ACT! v12, I've tested these components on v10 and v11, but not previous versions and since I compiled these against a v10 framework source I don't think they will likely work in earlier versions.

Thanks for the info on your versions - I've noticed that Office 2007 seems to install everything we need for this component  (none of my Office 2007 images have problems with this).

Allen

Master Commentator

I can confirm that. I have 3 windows on this dashboard. Top window I am using the mailbox component. It displays all of my emails in the righthand window as it should but the smaller window on the right does not show anything. In your screenshot it shows the folder list.

The other two windows on this dashboard use the folders component. I went through the configuration and typed out the folders i wanted to use.  \\contacts and \\calendar  respectively.   These display properly but figureing them out in the first place took a little guess work. Your screenshot of the folder config looks as though it might support a browse feature to locate the folders?  This was not the case for me, i had to just type in the folder name myself.

Master Commentator

Also, im getting an error everytime i close ACT down now with this installed.  I close ACT and after a few moments it says ACT has "encountered an eror and needs to shut down" or something very similar to that.  It generates an error log which i transmit and it finally closes down.  I confirmed it as this tool after i deleted it out of the tools folder and ACT closed properly. once i re-installed, i get the error again.
Platinum Elite Contributor

Very sweet... I especially like that it updates live as opposed to the normal dashboard items that you have to refresh.

Not sure if it's because I have so many folder, but not all of them show up on the folder list - either in the config for Folder or in the Mailbox. But when I typed the folder names and path, they do show in folder component.

I wonder if this is the cause for the crash on exit? http://community.act.com/sage/blog/article?message.uid=165

Running O2007 and ACT! Prem 2009 on Vista Business if that matters

Suggestion for a future build... it would be nice if the column selections, filters and sort order remained sticky (or at least defaulted sort to "Received").

Actually, this would be good for the other Custom Dashboard Components as well which also don't keep any settings like this.

Nickel Elite Contributor

Thanks for the input - I'll take a look at the suggestions and post the source next week (I'm on jury duty later this week).

Nickel Super Contributor

Allen,

I extracted the files to the Tools folder. Did the installation of the MS interop. Created a Dashboard and added the two components, one to the top half and the other to the bottom half. Both components were available.

I configured my Folders component to show \\PersonalFolders\Inbox

After saving, my new Outlook dashboard does not show any folder contents. 

The control, Outlook Mailbox, shows only the left hand side of the screen.  The other controls shows nothing at all.

How can I easily post an attachment of the screens to this forum?

Scott Abboud

Allied Financial Software, Inc.

scotta wrote:

How can I easily post an attachment of the screens to this forum?

Scott Abboud

Allied Financial Software, Inc.

The only way is to post it to an external web server of your own and then use the Edit/Insert Image icon when creating a post.

I assume they stopped the ability for users attaching files because of the potential liability of a users attaching malware.