Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

New version of Document Tab Previewer

Copper Contributor

New version of Document Tab Previewer

This new version includes more robust handling for exception conditions such as when there is no preview handler installed on the system or when the file selected does not exist.

In the previous version, if you tried to use the previewer without any preview handlers installed, ACT would not load the plugin and it would be placed into the DependentDLL.xml file, thus preventing it from being loaded by ACT in the future.

If you are having problems using this plugin and believe you have preview handlers installed, please check your DependentDLL.xml and make sure that DT_plugin.dll and phControl.dll are not in this file. If you see them in there then you should remove the entries from the file.

Frank
Nickel Contributor

Re: New version of Document Tab Previewer

[ Edited ]
Thanks for this. Very handy so far. ive got an issue though.  This works with excel documents but not word docs. 

im using ACT! by Sage 2008 (10.0) Version 10.0.2.191 and office 2007 if tht helps.

I looked and cant find DependentDLL.xml anywhere. not that id know how to modify it. im no programmer, just found this and like it!

the error im getting is  HRESULT E_FAIL has been returned from a call to a com component.

Matt

Message Edited by mvpulsts on 04-03-2008 09:24 PM
Matt Pulsts
Your Intown Handyman
Atlanta, GA
Nickel Contributor

I am having a problem with this feature.  I am using Office 2003 and ACT! 9.x.

It is saying that I cannot view the documents because:

There are no preview handlers installed.

I don't know if I have preview handlers installed and clicked on the link to go to Microsoft.

I have no idea how to add the preview handlers if I don't have them. i do not know where DependentDLL.xml is located either.

-P

Just a thought.  The knowledgebase shows how to add folders into the document tab using .*lnk and adding the folder.  What would make this feature really nice is using the rightside of the moveable bar as the area one could "see" what's in the "clicked/highlighted" folder.  Have your program be able to view what's in those folders and that would be nice!  If the right pane is for viewing only,  try a triple pane then!

Nickel Contributor

Anyone? Ideas?

it only gives the error when trying to view a word doc.  excel docs preview fine

Matt Pulsts
Your Intown Handyman
Atlanta, GA

Sorry for the late response. It's possible that there may be problems with your Word 2007 installation. I've encountered issues when I was developing this where Excell would work and Word would not. You might want to try repairing your version of office and see if that helps.

If the Excel docs display then the issue will have nothing to do with the DependentDLL.xml file.

This plugin will only work right now with version 10.0 of ACT and beyond. Also, Microsoft does not include preview handlers with Office 2003. They only have them for Office 2007.

You would get a similar message if you tried to view the same document while using the Preview Pane in Windows Vista (This plugin is based on the same technology)

Nickel Contributor

[ Edited ]

m using act 10.0.2.191 hotfix 1 and office 2007.  this previewer works with excel files and pdf files. not with word files. those are the only 3 tyes i use right now in my act databe so those aer the only types tested.

esit: OK, i did a repair installation of office through add/remove and it works now. cant remember if i tried thtcbeofer or not. 

Quite a handy gadget!

Message Edited by mvpulsts on 06-03-2008 04:32 PM
Matt Pulsts
Your Intown Handyman
Atlanta, GA
Nickel Contributor

n. Now that i have this working and have been actually using it a bit today i realized that if i have a document being oreviewed and I go to another contact (in this case, using the search function) when the new contact comes up, the same document is still displayed in the preview window.

I can see how this "could" be useful if i wanted to cut and paste some info from one document into the notes or some such of anoher contact but i cant help wondering if this "feature" is on purpose?

Matt Pulsts
Your Intown Handyman
Atlanta, GA

Mike at GL computing put me on to this plugin and I'm very impressed so far for word and excel files.  I also have html, tif and jpg documents (from scanned customer faxes) that I would like to be able to preview.  Are there handlers available to do this would anyone know?