Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Navigating folders using Web info

Nickel Elite Contributor

Navigating folders using Web info

[ Edited ]

On a recent call with ACC's someone asked me if I could show how someone might use web info to navigate to a customers folder somewhere on a network.  I thought this was a kind of clever idea - but I ran into an issue with the Web info tab that if your folder name contains spaces the web info replaces those spaces with + so never finds the folder (thanks to Pat Egen for pointing this out).

As a quick workaround I created the html file attached which strips out the +'s and maps to the spaces in the folder names.  This allows you to use web info like a little folder browser.  

A few notes:  This is a really rudimentary workaround - you need to change the html file to point to the root folder directory you want (I show a mapped drive of E: but you could use a network path like File://Servername/share as well

Here's the explanation of the code in the html file: 

<scripttype="text/javascript">

var companyname = gup('company');

companyname = companyname.replace("+", " ");

companyname =companyname.replace("+", " ");  ßKindof funny here I’m just undoing what the webinfo parser did

companyname =companyname.replace("+", " ");

companyname =companyname.replace("+", " ");ß ifyou have names with more than 5 spaces you can just copy this line and paste itagain (I really should do a loop here but it’s Friday and I’m lazy!)

companyname =companyname.replace("+", " ");

window.location="file://E:/" +companyname     ß change the E:/ to thedirectory you want as the starting directory 

Once you configure the html to point to the default folder then setup your web link in webinfo to point to that html file.  Here's mine: 

file://D:/companynav.html?company={Contact.Company} 

Hope this helps.

Message Edited by alduet on 03-08-2010 03:27 PM
Nickel Elite Contributor

Re: Navigating folders using Web info

[ Edited ]

I also think it's kind of clever to use the Contact context web browser control and create a new tab dedicated to this kind of folder mapping for a contact or company record.

You need to change the space replacer to %20 in the control for this to support folders with spaces.

Overall I love having this kind of access within ACT! and I can drag and drop files into the customers folder while on that record.  Pretty cool idea thanks to the ACC's who brought this up!.

Message Edited by alduet on 03-08-2010 03:29 PM
Copper Super Contributor

this is great by the way and a neat and simple solution I noticed since upgrading to IE11 - that we get the prompt Your browser does not support ActiveX. Please use Internet Explorer. I have altered all the activex security permissions I can see but still can't get this to function Any ideas on what needs changing in the html to keep this working? I also tried the same URL in chrome and got the same message Thanks Andy
Andy Kent
Angel Solutions (UK and NZ)
www.angelsolutions.co.uk
Nickel Contributor

Could you try adding the following inside the <head> tags?

<meta http-equiv="x-ua-compatible" content="IE=9">

It should force IE to, at least, try and render the page as if it was IE9. It's a simple tweak and worth a shot.

Copper Super Contributor

thanks for quick response! tried that - still no joy Smiley Sad Smiley Happy Andy
Andy Kent
www.angelsolutions.co.uk
Copper Super Contributor

any other thoughts? Thanks Andy
Andy Kent
www.angelsolutions.co.uk
Copper Contributor

I wish this would work on V17 but it doesn't.

Thanks,
Inge van Gemert
ACT! Certified Consultant
The Netherlands
inge@inkey.net
Nickel Elite Contributor

What part isn't working?  The Web info tab still takes file system formatted URI's and renders in windows explorer in the control.

If you create a link of just c:\ in web info it gets you to the c drive correct?

Are you saying the jscript file in the thread below that handles spaces no longer works or that file system browsing no longer works for you?

I'm on 17.0 and have this working in web info direct - I can try the file below if that is the problem as well.

Nickel Elite Contributor

[ Edited ]

Looks like there is one modification that needs to be made:

When calling the file you no longer need to reference the entity.property - you just call the property direct.  This works for me with the file:

D:/companynav.html?company={Company}

Highlighted
Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm trying to set this up in combination with the Groups Webtab. Customer uses Groups as Projects and wants to see their project folders in a Group Tab. The Group-field data is not pulled so the folder is not shown. 

I will try to edit it without the Entity.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Thanks,
Inge van Gemert
ACT! Certified Consultant
The Netherlands
inge@inkey.net