Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Middle Pane

JM
Nickel Contributor

Re: Middle Pane not working with ACT 2011

For me any improvements to ACT! Navigation to reduce the number of steps/clicks, finding what I'm looking for in my series of custom fields and layout, ect.. copying a free DLL and Design Layout helps a lot.  The main reason I stuck with ACT! is the 3rd party developers add-ons make it useable for my unique needs.  The price for those is adding up the cost of ownership of ACT! so I would like to see better navigation included in ACT! that will not take away from their revenue.

I think one small mixed group are like me that over customize ACT in order to filter down to what we are looking for not only using ACT as a contact management, but how to come up with that list for the Corp Sales Dept. people to act on.

Example 1: Middle Pane I saw it at our BAAUG meeting thinking I don't need it.  Later as I use ACT I noticed I'm jumping between my History Tab to see when I last called and the custom Tab with fields about the account.  Middle Pane allows me to see more and not click around.  I would like the height narrowed down for the Horiz Tab name because my Detail layout is maxed out. Which may explain those that like Vertical placement because with widescreen LCD's there is more room in Detail layout.

Example 2: I would like the Lookup popup to always give you the option to select in "For the current lookup: ADD and Narrow since you can not if you Create Lookup from a Group, also since ADD is used more often than Replace Lookup make the last used the default.

Example 3: I would like from Relationships Tab or even better from Contact List view from 8 clicks to in 2-3 clicks Relate Contacts based on what's in the Contact List.

Example 4: Improve Dialog windows: From Contact Detail go to Drop-Down menu | Contacts | Add Selected to Company. As default Instead of scrolling down the list to find the company improve the clicks counts not having to click on View drop-down change to Company List to then start typing company name to get close to it.  It would help to customize that window by adding or changing the field shown.  Such as I would replace "Company Description" column with a custom field I have that contains a unique CustID#.  The other similar dialog window I find frustrating to find what I'm looking for is from Group or Company detail right click over one selecting a "Company or Group Membership" | Add/Remove Contacts | click on Static Contacts button | here the Select Contacts window can also use the improvements.  I also find when looking for: by Name when typing it you have to know to type (Lastname inset comma insert space type Firstname).

Extension to #4: I don't think I'm alone but, From Outlook Attach to ACT! Contact, or using Swiftpage, and how ACT! only supports one email field for a contact record, I need multiple Contact records even though the same contact.  With this Dialog window also found I can't tell which contact record I want the email attached to.  I have to add an (_) at the end of last name to see which one is the Primary record to hold all emails and histories.  It would help if I could add or switch the column field which has a unique ID name/#.

I've had these in the Wish list for years but my point is the lack of improvements in the user usability to be most efficient with clicks and views for us dealing with massive amount of contacts in need to data minipulation to get to a call list for sales.

JM

Copper Contributor

Allen,

Can this be made to show a list of products from opportunities instead of just the summary line from the opportunity?

David C. Ayers
Ayers Technology Corp.
dayers@ayerstechnology.com
512-251-7313 office
www.ayerstechnology.com
Nickel Super Contributor

Re: Middle Pane

and another improvement suggestion:

5) Currently the History/Activity/Notes tabs allow you to select a row, press Ctl+C, which copies the entire row, and can be pasted as a comprehensive text block into a document.  But when the History/Actvitiy/Notes are in the Middle Pane, you lose that feature.  Please enable that Ctl+C feature when in the Middle Pane.

Daniel Graves . . . DesignR1, LLC . . . Los Angeles . . . 818-780-3201
¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤
Nickel Elite Contributor

Where is the most recent version to download?  I thought I had it, but apparently mine is still the 3 yr old version. Thanks...

Richard Brust
ACT! Certified Consultant
richard@rbrDataSolutions.com
JM
Nickel Contributor

There is no newer version even though many posts asking where is it.  That ZIP file in the First original Post with a DLL file dated May 9th 2007.  I'm using it with ACT! 2011 Prem. works fine for me but be better to have more features and smaller title bar that is taking up Contact Detail Layout space.

JM

Nickel Elite Contributor

Thanks, just tried it with 2012 and am not getting the "checkbox" when I right-click and Customize in the Layout Designer.  Maybe it's just not loading, I'll have to check later - but thanks for the verification of version...

Richard Brust
ACT! Certified Consultant
richard@rbrDataSolutions.com
JM
Nickel Contributor

rbrust,

I made sure Beta Refresh ACT! was off, following the PDF instructions in the ZIP file copied the DLL into the specific folder on my Beta test system running XP Pro 32bit.  Opened ACT!, Tools Design layout,  right clicked on left most panel, selected the Middle Pane check box, selected Custom button in left column, and drag drop the Middle Pane icon on the Top section of the Contact Detail Layout.  This should work even if Windows 7 64 bit, but I'm not ready to use ACT! 2012 till after Gold version is released and an SP1 or major Hotfix is out.

JM

Nickel Elite Contributor

I'll check it out tonight - it might just need a couple of updates to use the newer API interfaces.

Nickel Super Contributor

working fine on Win 7 64 bit here.  This workstation/database did not participate in Aplha/Beta.  simply up-converted from a 2011 Middle Pane layout.

Daniel Graves . . . DesignR1, LLC . . . Los Angeles . . . 818-780-3201
¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤
Nickel Elite Contributor

I checked out the source on this control - it still uses the iContact... interface rather than the new imutableentity... interface, but the control still works as those old interfaces are still supported.  I confirmed I am able to apply the control to a new 2012 install and my production system upgraded with this control in place.

On a related note: The source code on this control has been challenging me for awhile now.  There's an unhandled exception that gets thrown in certain cases that I just can't trap.  Gilles has tried helping (I appreciate the assistance) but so far no luck.  

If there are any coders out there interested in assisting this is the one control where I could use a set of eyes for review.