Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Insights 2008 ACT! iPhone prototype and REST service demo

Employee

Insights 2008 ACT! iPhone prototype and REST service demo

Here is the Prototype iPhone app (and the windows REST service it connected to) that was demoed at the 2008 Insights. This proof on concept app was written by Frank Federici (iPhone) and Brian Mowka and Eric Burley (server) and is designed to show you how ACT! stateful nature can be mitigated somewhat to work with a remote device not to mention show an iPhone app connected to ACT!.

While Frank always intended to follow through on his promise to share this code with actdevnet, until recently the Apple NDA caused problems with doing so. Now that Apple changed their NDA, Frank has asked me to tie up this loose end for him.

Overall there were a few minor bugs to track down due to changes with the iPhone SDK since this was written. As time goes by and new iPhone SDK versions are released it may break in new ways. Keep this in mind if you pull this two years from now and try it.

Some notes:

• This code was built with XCode 3.1.2 and iPhone SDK 2.2( device side) and VS 2008 (server side). 
  • The "add new note" feature is not working. I think only "read only" notes were in the demo ( I wasn't there) so I let the "add note" functionality go as an exercise for the reader.
  • I tried to make sure that all references to Frank's or my Apple developer certs were removed to avoid confusion. But in any event, you can only run this on an iPhone simulator unless you have an Apple developer certificate.
  • The list of databases available returned by the server is hard coded. If you don't want ACT10DEMO or ACT11DEMO, change the returned list.
  • To debug the REST service side, you need to run it and then attach a debugger,This is an unresolved side effect of UAC with WCF on Vista.
  • You will find that the server side isn't truly REST-ful. More REST-like. Read up of REST before taking this as basis for any thing you write to see what the differences are.

ABOVE ALL ELSE: This is an unsupported "AS IS" demo! Do not run it with your production data and do not be surprised if it has some issues.This is meant to be a sample for developers to learn from and is not production ready in any way!

If anyone cares to discuss this in the forums, I'm all ears.

Tim Faust

Tim Faust
ACT! R&D
Bronze Elite Contributor

Re: Insights 2008 ACT! iPhone prototype and REST service demo

This needs to be completed and sold!!!

Customer always ask how to get thier 50 custom fields down to ACT and this would be the way!!!

Daylight has an AMAZING iPhone app.

what is Daylight? its the MAC contact manager SAGE recommends to ACT! for MAC users!!

I miss Frank.

-MM
World Famous ACT! Certified Consultant @ www.ActiveSales.net
Employee

A REST service (as demostrated by the sample) is really a great way to extend ACT! data access.

We miss Frank too.

Tim Faust
ACT! R&D
Copper Contributor

Where do we stand with the iPhone app?  Is there a post within this forum with updates?  Can we do a twitter update?

The anticipation is killing me Smiley Happy

Chris

Tuned Listener

I would be also highly interested in this. I only wait until act is really compatible with the iphone, then I will very likely purchase an iphone. I do not like solutions like companion link, because they cut out tpp many fields and too much of the history and notes. I need as many notes and history as possible for each contact. Also at least 5 custom fields. The more the better...

Copper Super Contributor

Hi,

I have plans to complete this.  If you visit www.actwiz.com you can sign up for updates and follow updates ( when posted) via twitter.

As of right now my goal is to finish the project before years end. Its taken a little more time than I thought to complete and I dont know how long it will take to get thru the app store approval which can take some time.  If you could look at Franks example you would see that its very very limited and doesnt allow for look ups and activites or opps.

The UI is a bit lack luster too, but you have to  remember that it was all written as a proof of concept and something to show off at insights..

IMOA I dont think sage will finish this product as they have ACT Mobile Live which well.. thats another topic.

I can tell you that I plan to sell it in the app store for $29.99 per device. The windows REST software will be free and there will be no monthly cost as its not sync its true real time data connected to the act database over the internet.

Jeremy Wesley