Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Dynamic Label Control - Contact view

Nickel Elite Contributor

Re: Dynamic Label Control - Contact view

If it's of interest I can also post the control which allows setting of the background and an option of an annoying effect that changes the background color every 1/2 second (makes it look like it's flashing).  This control has more complex options for configuraiton and isn't fully tested, but I can look at doing this later this week if anyone is interested.

Hi,

This is a great little addition to the view, I wonder if you could add multiple color changes?

I would like a traffic light system, Red/Amber/Green, and when the chosen color is selected from a drop down option, display the writing or background to the corresponding color.

Your assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Glenn

Copper Contributor

HI Allen,

I am definitely interested in any additional features you may have added to the label control, both Contact View and Company View.  Also I agree with the previous reply as to multiple values, this would greatly enhance the use of the label control.

I was thinking about having a few labels set for different values and hiding them when negative, but was wondering what your thoughts are about having, say about 4 or 5, placed in the same position on a layout.  Would there be any implications in doing so.  Of course if you could have multiple values set for 1 I wouldn't need to do this.

In addition to this functionality I would love to see a similar feature added to FORM BACKGROUND color, ie if field value = x then BACKGROUND color = RED, or whatever color.

Nickel Elite Contributor

I actually use the current control in a bit of a traffic light fashion.  I add the control to the layout 3 times vertically and test for different values in the same field and just supress the control if the value is not the intended one (show if negative=false).  I think what you are asking is whether you can stack those controls on top of one another.  Technically you can - I actually have a layout where I have ths control hide an entire panel on the layout if the contact type is a certain value (it is the same color as the background and sits on top of the other controls).  

You can't really accomplish the multiple conditioning on the same spot in the layout unless you modify the code, I would guess this would look like - value 1, then value 1 fonts/color. etc... value 2, etc....

Unfortunately I don't have time in the near future to modify the code, though I'll put this near the top of my fun projects and see if I can get this out in the not too distant future.

Nickel Elite Contributor

Here's a more advanced version of the control where you can test for 3 different values and display differently for each.  Also this control lets you test one field but display the contents of another.  This only works for Contacts - let me know if anyone finds this useful.

Copper Contributor

I will give this a try later today, thanks.
Copper Contributor

Hi Allen,
I have had a chance to set this up now and have a play with it, works a treat, I will find it very handy. If you can at some stage, please do one for other views. Also, can you include background colors to the mix?

Hi Allen,

This control sounds like soething we could use. I have added it to my toolbar, and put it on the layout, but nothing I try is getting it to work. I have actually installed the Advanced Dynamic Label Control. on ACT Premium 2011. Using the demo database.

I have tried using it with a new yes/no field, also with the City field.

I have set the Show_field to City, the Test_field to city, value1 to Boston, Value1_color to Red, Value2 to Gary, value2_color to Blue. then saved changed, exited the layout editor.

However in the contact detail view, nothing changed when these cities come up.

Am I missing something?

Also I see others have requested the form color to change. this would be great as well.

Thanks

Nickel Elite Contributor

In case anyone runs across this same issue:  I spoke with redchip - the advanced control needs to have all 3 value properties filled in to work.

Copper Contributor

Is it possible to get the source code for these example controls published?  I thought this was a forum for Developers, in which case the source code would be much more useful than a compiled .DLL.

Thanks!