Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Drop Box integration

Copper Super Contributor

Drop Box integration

Allen,

You showed me an integration demo of Drop Box working with ACT.  Where can I find the add-in to download and test or is it ready yet?

Thanks,

Pete

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Drop Box integration

Are you talking about attachments syncing via Dropbox?
Why would you want this?
It would mean Universal Search wouldn't index them
Would make them unavailable to web users.

But, if you don't care about above, you need to set a variable fro the DP folder on each machine ... something like:
http://forums.dropbox.com/topic.php?id=10127&replies=3
Nickel Elite Contributor

You want to get the:

Contact Web Context Browser

control on this forum.

If you have installed Dropbox's tool you'll have a local folder (ususally under ...\{User Name}\Dropbox) which is a local sync representation of your dropbox online share, you can point the control there or you can point it directly to the Dropbox URL's

Allen ... it's that now the WebInfo Tab?

If a script to add an environment variable for the DB folder is used, will ACT! leave it as the variable in the shortcut or change to the physical location? I ask cause I'm not near ACT! to test myself, not just because I'm lazy ;-)
Nickel Elite Contributor

[ Edited ]

You can use the web info tab, but what I had shown Pete previously was a separate tab using the context control.

As for the environmental variable question - the control isn't set to auto resolve - it's a straight pass through to the communications layer so I wouldn't expect the control or Web info script to change, though you would get dynamic results depending on local environmental variable settings.

I use externally dynamic references in my controls often (mapped drives, symbolic links, etc..) without issues, though from a production perspective it's often better to map to static network references and control routing at that level (e.g. if mapping to a network share reference it in the url ala \\Servername\share\etc..., rather than mapping a drive for this).  This way when someone moves the server or kills a roaming profile, or adds a load balancer etc... things should still work as naturally one would (hopefully) be inclined to reroute the old alias in DNS etc...

Just FYI - I've had issues passing variables with spaces in web info - the context control is more flexible here so I've had more success in reaching oddly named folder locations.  I recall building an HTML file with some javascript awhile back to support this with Web Info (it should be here on the forum), but since I use the context browser control i don't have much need for that resource.

Copper Super Contributor

Thanks Alan, will have a closer look.

Copper Super Contributor

Dumb question as I am not a developer, do I extract the whole folder and drop all files included into plug-ins folder?  Then how do I see the control to set-up with Drop Box.  You whipped through it pretty quickly so now I have to walk back through.  Good exercise for me though.  I've worked with Dashboard plug-ins but that's about it.

Be nice if someone would walk back through the various controls and how to install and manipulate them.  Is any of this being covered at Summit?

Thanks,

Pete

BTW Allen ...

One request I'd like to make to you (have mentioned this many times since 2006) ... ACT! performance suffers heavily when the attachments folder exceeds 10K files (mainly Windows issues reading the FAT). As it's the number of dir items (not the total size), even shortcuts impact this.

Can you look at allowing subfolders - either automated to create a new sub every X-number of files or (better) folders based on a user selectable field (like ID Status or the contact when it's saved).

If some ability to manually select the folder, this would also have the benefit of being able to secure a folder by Windows/Domain ACL and also a folder to be excluded from Universal Search - while still supporting sync/web unlike shortcuts (which are the only way now to do this)
Bronze Elite Contributor

Mike,

I agree with you with reagrds the issue that Windows has with large number of files within a single folder and this was not really taken into consideration with the design of the backend of ACT!.

Unfortunately I don't think it is a simple fix since the SQL tables that relate to this functionality have hardcoded folder number id values. This would suggest that the code connects via "magic numbers", so to try and resolve this tiresome issue could result in quite a massive code-rewrite and schema re-design. 

A task like that would take much longer than a 3-6 month dev period and longer with testing to see what "got broke".

That's my tuppence on this.

Vivek Gargav
Caldere Associates Ltd.
www.caldere.com
vgargav@caldere.com
My Blog

I worked on one site where the user had over 100K files ... we broke it up in sub-folders and then updated the links directly in the SQL.

Thought of doing it as an add-on, but as we were writing directly:
a) was not technically allowed in EULA and, despite Sage management ok'ing it at the time, no one would say if we could do it in an add-on
b) As we didn't update the transaction log, would have needed some work for sync users ... now or future.

This was back in 2009/10 ... not sure how much the db has changed in that area since

This architectural flaw is one that severely impacts ACT!'s scalability and performance ...