Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Drop Box integration

Bronze Elite Contributor

Re: Drop Box integration

Hi Mike,

As I understand it the EULA is marked for re-drafting, so if we see these kind of changes it will be for the good.

With regards to the transactional logs, the SQL server should be able to successfully manage the transactions itself. I suspect you were referring to the synch logs (Hehehe ok I'll stop being such a pedantic oaf!).

You should be able to get around this issue by making calls to the SP's. This wil also get around the "111...ACTUSER" issues since you can pass in an Admin user. The only thing to bear in mind is to call on the SP's in the correct sequences as I've found it can cause issues otherwise.

Adimitedly its like unraveling spaghetti though going through the SPs and very very tedious! Some of these SPs have been in ACT! for a very long time (in some cases from the original 2005 re-write!).

Vivek Gargav
Caldere Associates Ltd.
www.caldere.com
vgargav@caldere.com
My Blog
Platinum Elite Contributor

An EULA won't help people write directly to the SQL engine if it breaks the product ... that would need a complete re-engineering of the way the ACT! code works.

But, the point is that it's certainly possible for Sage to fix the way attachments are handled
Bronze Elite Contributor

SP = Stored Procedures.
I agree with you with regards to the schema complexity. But I wouldn't expect a std user or even a power user to be playing around with a SQL backend for any system. That should be done by trained and experienced IT/DBAs.
Vivek Gargav
Caldere Associates Ltd.
www.caldere.com
vgargav@caldere.com
My Blog

The original reason for not providing direct access to the SQL was due to the source code of the SPs.

And, it would take more than an EULA change to make this possible .. Sage would need to expand the SDK with details on the SPs (eg as per the example I gave with the sync logs)

It would also need serious engineering of error-trapping within the product and every addon in case a user or addon has made "unexpected" modifications.

I think Sage would rather users who need full ability to write to the SQL move up to SageCRM or SalesLogix.

And honestly, as someone who has supported ACT! users for 25 years, I tend to agree with that view ... it would blow out support costs at the low end of the market to satisfy the needs of a few power sites that could achieve their goals with those higher-end solutions.
Highlighted
Nickel Super Contributor

Pete,

did you ever get a step-by-step for this DropBox integration?  In these boards? at Summit?

Daniel Graves . . . Database-USA . . . Los Angeles . . . 818-780-3201
¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤