Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Custom Sub-Entity Sample

Copper Contributor

Custom Sub-Entity Sample

This sample provides an implementation of a “Policy” custom sub-entity using the SDK. It shows how to create a new one to many custom table off of contacts for storing policies. It creates a custom tab in the contact detail view and shows how to data bind to a list of policies. The sample also shows how to bind a form to add or edit a policy.
Avid Listener

Re: Custom Sub-Entity Sample

hi, i understood the coding of custom sub entity but can u tell me how can connect the custom table field to contact or company field in ACT. Thanks..............
Copper Super Contributor

Not sure I understand exactly what you mean by "...how can connect the custom table field to contact or company field "

You do not connect fields between an Entity (or Entities) and a sub-Entity.  Rather, you create the assocation, or relationship, between a sub-Entity and one or more Entities.  This is expressed as part of the CreateCustomSubEntity method in the signature.  In the sample it's associating the Policies sub-Entity with the Contact Entity (ParentEntity.Contacts).

With the first release of custom tables 10.02, you cannot later change (add or remove) ParentEntity associations to/from the sub-Entity, but we're thinking that this makes sense and is likely something you'll see as the feature progresses.

Bill Blakey
ACT! Development Team
Sage Software

Copper Contributor

Is there a chance of getting this code in vb instead of c#?

I could try to convert on item at a time but thought I'd ask first.

Thanks.

John 

Copper Contributor

Great sample with lots of good stuff!

Could you also provide code to lookup Policies based on a combination of string, date and boolean field values?

Thanks in advance,

Geoff

Geoff Blood ("The ACT! Customizer" )
The New Hampton Group

ACT Development Partner
Serving the ACC community since 1994

Can you associate CustomEntities with Activities?

Also, this compiles but would it work as intended?

CustomEntityDescriptor descriptor = this.actApplication.ActFramework.CustomEntities.CreateCustomSubEntity(ENTITY_NAME, ResMan.GetString("PolicyDisplayName"), ParentEntity.Contacts | ParentEntity.Companies | ParentEntity.Groups, true, ResMan.GetString("PolicyDescription"));

As in a CustomEntity that can be associated with any Contact or Company or Group?  

I downloaded this, and installed it on a copy of 10.0.2 Act Premium For Web. I'm having a problem because when I click on the tab, it gives me an error saying:

"Method not found: 'DataDescriptorCollection Act.Framework.CustomEntities.CustomEntityList` 1.get_FieldDescriptors()'.

This was with the dll that came standard compiled already. I will try building it off of the dlls included with Act Premium For Web, but any insight into this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Copper Contributor

Good day.

Is there a Visual Basic example project for this?

TIA

Kevin Ritch
CRM Solutions, Inc.
Long Island, NY

Copper Contributor

Hi John,

Did you ever get a reply to this question?

I am also a fellow VB programmer and also would not wish to convert a C# project.

Thanks for anything you might have, that may help.

Cheers,
Kevin
---------------
Kevin Ritch
CRM Solutions, Inc.
Long Island, NY

Copper Contributor

I have the same issue.  Did you get an answer?