Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Custom Dashboard controls and v16 - the saga continues

Nickel Contributor

Custom Dashboard controls and v16 - the saga continues

Once again the custom Dashboard controls needed to be updated for Version 16 as the Act! developers changed the version of the ChartFX controls shipped with v16.  Normally I could find a trial developer version of the ChartFX controls and recompile the Dashboard controls to use the new versions.  However I apparently missed the window as the ChartFX trial developer downloads are now an even newer version than the ones shipping with Act!

So the following workaround points the controls to use the version of the ChartFX controls now shipping with Act!.  And this approach may become the easiest way to contiue to chase future releases over time.  This is a little more complicated than just placing DLL files in the machine file system.  Here are the instructions.

Have Act! not running.  Put the DLLs in the attached ZIP file into the Act! installation TOOLS directory.  Once there, right click each file in Windows Explorer and select Properties and if there is an Unblock button at the bottom of the Properties window click that button and then click OK.  Now move to the main Act! Installation directory and edit (using Notepad) the Act!.exe.config file.  I suggest making a copy under a different name first as getting the file messed up will keep Act! from starting.

Look for an area of the file that looks like this:

</assemblyBinding>

</runtime>

<system.serviceModel>

Note: the apparent indentation may vary depending on the settings in Notepad.

Insert the contents of the attached TXT file between the last </assemblyBinding> and the </runtime> lines.  This adds several more <assemblybinding> elements that get around the ChartFX version mismatch.

If you make the change and you get an error during Act! startup, double check your editing.  The inserted lines are all full lines.  It does not matter if there are more or fewer carriage returns in the file.  But if all else fails rename the copy of the config file you made to Act!.exe.config and try again later.

Note that the Act.Devnet.DataChart.DLL is not being distributed for v16 as that used the OLEDB1 interface which was removed from v16.  Dashboards using OLEDB1 will need to be converted to use the Act.DevNet.SQLChart.dll control, using the OLEDB2.0 interface, as well as needing the SQL command to be converted to use the OLEDB2.0 table and column names.  

The other control distributed in the ZIP file is my EgenConsulting Chart Control.. The good news is that it uses an open source graphics package that is not subject to the whims of the Act! developers or their 3rd party providers.  The bad news is that currently it only displays data in a text grid, it does not draw graphs.  Graphs will be forthcoming.

Thank you for your continued interest in Custom Dashboards.

Donald Egen

Patricia Egen Consulting, LLC

Chattanooga, TN

Copper Elite Contributor

Re: Custom Dashboard controls and v16 - the saga continues

Thanks Pat. Saved me an angry client today!

Geoffrey B. Boulden
Twelve/Three Marketing, Inc.
Buffalo, NY
ACT!
SageCRM
GoldMine
SQL Certifications
Copper Contributor

Does this work with v17 as well?

Thanks.

Luci Packett
Stewart Technologies
Nickel Contributor

Luci

The above files will work with Act! v17 but I have something better.

Rather than having to manually make edits to the Act!.exe.config file I have taught an installer to do the edits.  The attached ZIP file contains a Windows installer EXE that will put the control DLLs in the right directory and make the Act!.exe.config edits required for things to work.  Just run the installer on each workstation that needs to display the custom dashboards and you should be up and running.

This installer will work with Act! v16.1+, v17.x and v18.0.

Hope this helps.

Donald Egen

Patricia Egen Consulting, LLC

Chattanooga, TN

Highlighted
Copper Contributor

Awesome!  Thanks Don.

Luci Packett
Stewart Technologies