Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Contact Web Context Browser

Nickel Elite Contributor

Re: Contact Web Context Browser

I recommend trying the control assembly I posted in this thread - it directly fixes the script popup errors you reported.  You just need to unzip that file to your ACT! tools directory and restart ACT! and all should be well - no need to reinstall.

Tuned Listener

Hello Allen, unfortunately i could'nt get Zillow to work, I tried the control assembly you posted and still no luck, although installing this, did made the error prompt go away, but I am still unable to view the map with the home values. Now, i tried using http://realestate.yahoo.com/Homevalues and it seems to work fine inside act, i am able to view maps and home value without a problem, i was wondering if maybe you can help me set it up as the target url, if possible. Another good thing is that right next to the map that yahoo gives me i also get a link to the detail discription of the property in Zillow, which i can view in act, so thats just good enough for me. Thanks for the help.
Nickel Elite Contributor

Tuned Listener

Thank you very much Allen, the Url you provided for Yahoo home values works perfectly.

I've been using the Contact Web Context Browser Control for quite a while and love the extra functionality it adds.  Was on 2008 for several years and all was well.  Built several custom lookups and even used the control to extend integration with other apps.

Recently upgraded to ver 2010 and am aware that it contains a built in version of the same (similar) control.  BUT...  it doesn't quite work the same.  Its missing the "Fetch URL only when control is visible on layout" check box that the old version had.  I had a process that ran, or was called on every contact record as it was viewed - if the control was visible on layout or not.  I really need that one back.

It's also missing the "Replace Space with (+)" feature.  That one was nice to have too.

Need some help with this one.  Have contacted Sage through our 30 new install warranty support.  They don't seem to know what I'm talking about.

Hoping to get some help here.

The old control worked perfectly for our environment and business needs.  The upgrade to 2010 seems to have rendered the control nonfunctional.  Have funked around with it, with no success in getting it running again.  Poked around the XML files and haven't found what I'm looking for yet.

Additionally: 

The new control in 2010 extends the functionality of the URL's in the "Web Info" tab to ALL databases.  The old control was a part of the Design Layout fit in a TAB and was limited to the ACT DB Layout it was attached to.   Would be nice to have that back too.  Don't have all the same requirements on all of our ACT DB's.

Older posts mentioned that the latest version of the old control (with error suppression) was built against ver 11 - 2009 and should continue to work in ver 12 - 2010, but unfortunately it doesn't.  Getting the "Double Click to Configure" screen on every instance of the tab/control.  I've successfully migrated my custom strings into the "Web Info" tab but the new control simply doesn't provide the same functionality beyond the URL and Variable configurations.

Does anyone know if there are any settings/strings that can be modified anywhere else in ACT 2010 to get the old functionality of the control back?  Specifically "Fetch URL only when control is visible on layout" check box that the old version had?

or

Does anyone have plans to re-release a new version of the old control that works with ACT 2010?

Thanx in advance! 

Your help and feedback is greatly appreciated.

Nickel Elite Contributor

I can do a rebuild of the old control against ACT! 2010.  I'll see fi i can get something out later today or tomorrow for this.

WOW!  Thanx  (That was a fast response)

Are you (any users of this control) looking for additional URL's to include in the control?  I have written 20-30 additional URL's that we use for research.

Some of them include (but not limited to)

Find Contact Information

Linkedin

ZoomInfo

Amazon

Spoke

Jigsaw

Google Groups, News, Maps, Blog, Patent, Document Search, etc...

Twitter

We extend the control pretty regularly.  We'd be happy to share.

Nickel Elite Contributor

Here is a version of the control with the script errors supression built for ACT! 2010 (v12).   

Unzip this and save the dll to your tools directory.  Then add the custom control to layouts as previous.  If you already have the older version of the control just replace the old dll with this one in tools and restart ACT!.

Note:  This control version WILL NOT work on versions previous to ACT! 2010 (v12) it inherits the IMutableEntityListBoundControl interface which is new to ACT! 2010.

Let me know if you have any issues.

Nickel Elite Contributor

Let's start a new thread in this forum for contributions of custom URL's.  I have quite a few I can contribute as well.

Some of these URL's require custom fields so I suggest annotating when a URL might require a custom field versus when using a out of box ACT! field.

Also I have a handful of URL's for Company and Opportunity context browser controls I'd be happy to post. 

Any suggestions on what we could call this thread?  Feel free to start one - It'll take me a day or so to compile URL's here.