Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Contact Web Context Browser

Re: Contact Web Context Browser

ok, thank you Pierre.

Re: Contact Web Context Browser - ACT 2005

Hi, For ACT! 2005 - do you need to register somehow the .XML & .DLL files so that it shows up in the customize toolbox dialog? Thanks, Evan esavelson AT medextra.com
Copper Contributor

Hi,

Since this was my first add-on I wrote for ACT!, I compiled it against 9.0 (2007) before I had a good appreciation of backwards compatibility requirements.  To get it to work with 2005, it needs to be compiled against the 2005 DLLs.  This is very simple (and the source code is posted on this site), but I understand that you may just want the DLLs that work rather than have to compile the source code.  I have received some other suggested improvements and it may make sense to do another quick Rev of this sample (adding the improvement) and compiling against 2005.

Give me a couple of weeks...as I am traveling overseas in the next 2...

Pierre

Pierre wrote:
Hi,
Since this was my first add-on I wrote for ACT!, I compiled it against 9.0 (2007) before I had a good appreciation of backwards compatibility requirements. To get it to work with 2005, it needs to be compiled against the 2005 DLLs. This is very simple (and the source code is posted on this site), but I understand that you may just want the DLLs that work rather than have to compile the source code. I have received some other suggested improvements and it may make sense to do another quick Rev of this sample (adding the improvement) and compiling against 2005.
Give me a couple of weeks...as I am traveling overseas in the next 2...
Pierre

Hi, I would be thrilled to try compiling, just that it is a bit out of my league. Is it something you can outline the steps for me? I would be happy to post my results to the forum afterwards. Thanks, Evan
Tuned Listener

if you change "en&q" to "it&q" you can get the trip information in another language. it for italian of course. Great add-on. Thanks
Copper Contributor

This does not work on ACT!2008 Dutch. The "Custom" option is not available at design layout. How can we fix this?
Thanks,
Inge van Gemert
ACT! Certified Consultant
The Netherlands
inge@inkey.net
Platinum Elite Contributor

Inge,

You do development with the SDK, don't you? Why not download the source code from this link and see if you can tell what fails with the Dutch version?

Might be faster than getting the US guys to understand Dutch Smiley Wink

If you do, post back the difference here... it hopefully isn't an issue that add-ons need to be modified for non-English versions
Copper Contributor

Hi Inge,

can you give me some more information about the custom option not being available?
If you open the layout designer, by default ACT! only displays the "Drawing" and "Field" slider bars on the left hand side.  You need to right-click on the left hand side tool area and choose customize before you get the Customize Toolbox dialog where you can pick the correct new control to add.
Did you check out the attached PDF? on the first page on the right hand side, there are instructions on how to install this.  if you can tell me what happens at each step (worked or not) I can point out what may be going wrong.

Pierre

After experimenting with the CWCB a bit, I've found that if you use the file:// protocol as a template, and maybe include a custom field for the directory name, you can use the CWCB as a makeshift "documents tab", browsing a shared folder on a network set up for client's documents, for example.
Copper Contributor

Great way to use the control.  Had not thought of that angle in the past...
That's what I personally like about generic controls...Sure, some people just want a control for LinkedIn as an example, I would rather have a web browser control with templates.  Adds some complications to the design time experience, but then you can use the control in ways that the creator had not even evisaged as you demonstrated.

BTW, I am working on a generic dashboard charting / list view control that should be out around mid May on DevNet...Again, playing with the concept of a generic control, but simplifying the design time expereicne even further...

Pierre