Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Contact Web Context Browser

Highlighted
Copper Contributor

Contact Web Context Browser

[ Edited ]

Version 1.1 enhances on the initial ContactWebContextBrowser and adds some key features.
The most visible feature is a custom designer. Adding the control to a layout will automatically popup a custom designer form which allows for easy and visual configuration of the Target URL for your web browser control (see image below)

The “Contact Web Context Browser” is a custom control that you can use in ACT! to view unstructured data, often available on external web sites, which may pertain to your current contact.

For example, imagine that you had need to display information such as a map to the contact’s address, or do an automatic search on eth customer name on sites such as Google, Linked-In, Hoover etc.  The Contact Web Context browser control allows you to droop a web browser control on the Contact Layout and to configure that to call a URL.  The URL you configure the control with can have embedded in it Contact Filed Names, and these will be replaced at run time with the field values (sort of like a mail merge on the fly).

For example, suppose the URL to your favorite mapping web site was:
http://maps.myfavoritemapsite.com (example only)
By experimenting with different searches on the site, you may discover that the address fields can be passed on in the URL such as:
http://maps.myfavoritemapsite.com/maps?ie=UTF8&hl=en&q={Contact.Address 1}+{Contact.City},+{Contact.State}
Configuring the custom control with this URL will actually replace the fields (Address 1, City and State) with the values from the contact record and fetch that URL and display it in the control window.

Key Features
  • Flexible configuration - type in any URL you need - external or internal
  • URL Template Support.  If you use a number of URLs often, you can add these to an XML file and have URL templates easily available from the layout Designer to configure the control
  • Internet Explorer compatible.  Since the control is a .net control which is a decedent of the .net browser control, it is compatible with Internet Explorer

Message Edited by Pierre on 01-28-2008 08:25 PM

Message Edited by Pierre on 01-28-2008 08:26 PM

Message Edited by Pierre on 01-28-2008 08:27 PM

Re: Contact Web Context Browser

Hi Pierre, is it possible to use CWCB with google.fr instead google.com ? Cose http://maps.google.fr/ in syntaxe provides google.com map ?
Thank's a lot !
Regards

Hi !

I've tried CWCB with society layout, but it doesn't work ?

Result on my screen is "Double click to Configure" ?

What can I do please ?

Thank's a lot !

Copper Contributor

Hi Christophe,

The control should work fine for google.fr. What you will need to do is to add the control to your layout and then double-click to configure.  if you choose the Google template from the drop-down list, it will put in the google.com url.  Simply go to the url and change .com to .fr

So, the URL in the configuration should look like this:
http://maps.google.fr/maps?ie=UTF8&hl=en&q={Contact.Address 1}+{Contact.City},+{Contact.State}

Did you make that change in the configuration dialog?
If you want the .fr to be the default for you, simply edit the config file that is included.  the config file holds the templates being used.

Pierre

Copper Contributor

Christophe

Which URL are you trying to go to?
If you add the control to a layout, you will get the "Double Click to configure".  In Layout Designer, you will need to double click on that and setup the URL.
The templates help you set that up easily, but remember that you can just type any URL in the edit box provided.  The test link at the bottom of the configuration helps you test the link to make sure it works (it used the data from MyRecord as an example).

Can you post a screen shot of the configuration dialog or of the URL you are trying to configure?

Pierre

Hi Pierre, I did it exactly like you say ! but sorry, it doesn't work :

http://maps.google.fr/maps?ie=UTF8&hl=en&q={Contact.Adresse 1},+{Contact.Code postal},+{Contact.Ville}

And my record is OK on my screen, but always in English in use.

Don't worry, it's not very important for me, but it's strong, isn't it ?

Regards,

Christophe

PS : I can't send a print screen on forum, you can send me a mail on christophe@atlanticom.fr if you want.

Pierre,

I tried Google Maps : it's only OK on Contact Layout, but it doesn't work on Group and Society Layout ??
Target URL :
http://maps.google.fr/maps?ie=UTF8&hl=en&q={Société.Adresse 1},+{Société.Code postal},+{Société.Ville}
and the Result URL is :
Instead view of Google Maps, I see on my screen a box with "Double Click to Configure" !

I can send you a print screen, send me an email please.
Or if you want, you can take control on my PC with VNC...

Congratulations for CWCB, it's a big revolution for ACT!

Christophe
Copper Contributor

OK,
I understand now.  Societe = Company (My French is a bit rusty).
Unfortunately, the control only works for Contact, not for Groups or Companies (Societes).  However, I did post the source code for programers out there to chnage (if you feel brave) :-)

Pierre

Ok ! I'm disapointed...but I hope you'll be able to do that asap, isn't it ?!!

I know you can do it, do you know how many time to wait for ?

Sorry if I don't speak very well english...

And thank you very much !

Christophe
Copper Contributor

Sorry Christophe,
But I am not panning on producing a company (societe) version of the control in the short term (The intent of the control wa to show what is possible to do with ACT! and I think I achieved that :-))
Perhaps one of the add-on partnes woudl like to use the sample source code I posted to provide that. 
Any takers?

Pierre