Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Contact Ole DB Grid - Show External SQL Data in ACT!

Copper Contributor

Re: Contact Ole DB Grid - Show External SQL Data in ACT!

Hi Pierre,

Is it possible to get a copy of the source code for this control?

David

Nickel Elite Contributor

Does anyone have this working with ACT 11?  I have both Access 2000 and Access 2007 on my machine, but the Northwind (and another db I was testing are version 2000.  The control I added (on a new tab), and the example layout provided with the ZIP fie (i.e. Invoices) show nothing - no data, no empty grid, etc, just a blank white tab.

Thanks if anyone can provide info in this add-in...

Richard Brust
ACT! Certified Consultant
richard@rbrDataSolutions.com
Copper Contributor

Hi Richard

Try downloading the source code and using the DLL from that zip.  I could not get the one here to work on ACT 11 but the one in the 

source code bundle did.

David

Nickel Elite Contributor

The control in the debug directory of the source was compiled against a ACT! v11 install and should work as mentioned above.

If anyone has issues with getting this control to run on an earlier version of ACT! you should be able to open the source solution in Visual Studio and build against the ACT! references for the version you want to run on. 

Nickel Elite Contributor

Thanks for the replies.  I tried the dll from the source code ZIP file, but still get a blank white tab with no indication that even a control is on it.  In the designer, I can access the properties, so I'm assuming it's there.

A few details:

• my ACT! exe is under C:\Program Files\ACT\Act for Web
  • the two Access databases are also in this directory
  • the dll is one more dir down under Tools
  • the example layout is elsewhere, in a sub-dir where the pad, etc files are
  • I left the connection strings alone that came with the example layout, but here are mine (StudentID is a custom ACT! field):

Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=TestData.mdb;User Id=;Password=;

SELECT Test_Results.Test_Date, Test_Results.Test_Score, Test_Results.Test_Type FROM Test_Results WHERE Test_Results.StudentID={Contact.StudentID};

Thanks for your quick responses, this looks like a very helpful tool...

Richard Brust
Nickel Elite Contributor

[ Edited ]
Just a guess here, but it looks like you're not getting a provider connection to your DB.

your code:
Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=TestData.mdb;User Id=;Password=; 

Suggestion:
Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=C:\program files\ACT\Act for web\TestData.mdb;User Id=;Password=; 

Alternatively you could try adding the mdb files to the tools diorectory (I believe the source pathing starts from the parent directory of the control (Tools folder) rather than the SageAct.exe parent directory.
Message Edited by alduet on 02-17-2009 09:51 AM
Nickel Elite Contributor

Thanks for replying and trying to help.  I tried moving the database, and specifying a full path in the connection string - and a combination of both, but nothing seemed to work.  I am beginning to think it's not the connection string, or Access database, but rather the control itself.  I copied the example control from the Invoices tab to the User Fields tab, and there's just nothing that even shows up where the control was put (just below the user field boxes).  I would think there would be "something" there, an outline, a box, whatever.  I'm going to try this on another machine/version.

Thanks, and again, any input is welcome...

Richard Brust
Nickel Elite Contributor

From the behavior you are describing it does sound like an issue with the control.  If you have Visual Studio or even Visual Studio C# Express edition (free to download from MS), then you should be able to open the source code solution and just build a new control (hit the build menu item).  If you get build errors it'll probably be due to reference dll's not being found on that system which could be the problem you are experiencing.

Unfortunately this control gets the least amount of my attention, so I haven't performed a code overview or added any error trapping/handling to this source since Pierre published this quite some time ago.  So far I haven't tested against a ACT! for web install so not sure if that could be part of the problem as well.

Let me know how your tests go and I'll see if I can spend some time looking at this control next week.

Nickel Elite Contributor

Allen -

Thanks for your time, and suggestions.  The version of C# I downloaded was Visual C# 2008 Express Edition, and upon opening the project file, 4 files could not be found:

• ContactFieldUtils.cs
  • DBHelper.cs
  • DesignerUtils.cs
  • SerializableDictionary.cs

Not sure if they were left out of the source zip, or it's the 2008 version that is to blame, but the build (of course) is not working.

Thanks again for any suggestions...

Richard Brust
Nickel Elite Contributor

This code has a common dir it looks for at the root of the solutions folder which contains those files.  It looks like the previous zip did not capture this directory.

The Common dir with those files are attached here.

Allen