Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Social Media -- Marketing “Campaigns” or Collaborations

by kjosephs on ‎04-30-2009 02:13 PM (14,186 Views)

Earlier this month I read a great article, The 4 Fail Whales of Social Media Marketing, authored by Lauren McKay, in destinationCRM.com.  It is no surprise I have revisited this article a few times to reflect on the advice Jeremiah Owyang (@jowyang), Charlene Li (@charleneli), and Peter Kim (@peterkim) shared with attendees of the Web 2.0 Expo.

The 4 Fail Whales include:
  1. "Social media doesn’t match up with our corporate culture"
  2. "My social media marketing campaigns aren’t working"
  3. "I don’t know how to measure this stuff"
  4. "I’m not sure social media matters anyway"

With my primary focus on our community, I appreciate that Charlene Li stressed that social media isn’t about marketing campaigns and is about building relationships with customers and collaborating.   And, I had to agree with her insight that businesses need to change relationships not only with customers, but with employees and external constituents as well.  How is your business culture changing?  Have you made change within your organization to embrace this philosophy?  And, are you using any measurement tools that provide feedback on sentiment? 

In the ACT! community, we are working on a new forum, Ideas Exchange, where you are invited to share your product and service ideas with us.  Currently, we receive product enhancements requests through several channels, including:  support, email, conference sessions, Webcasts, partner newsgroups, and conversations with our partners and customers.  With Ideas Exchange, your ideas become more than a suggestion.  Your ideas will spark other passionate community members to add, refine, and sometimes challenge entries, resulting in the best possible improvements.  As a member, your contribution is invaluable, as you will inspire change and even vote on the ideas that best support your business growth and success.  This is exciting stuff, and we can't wait to learn about your ideas.

McKay, L. (2009). The 4 Fail Whales of Social Media Marketing. destinationCRM.com.

Comments
by Platinum Elite Contributor on ‎05-01-2009 12:46 PM

Kim,

I've posted some thoughts on this to my blog:

http://blog.glcomputing.com.au/2009/05/social-media-marketing-campaigns-or.html

Regards,

Mike Lazarus

ACT! Evangelist

by kjosephs on ‎06-10-2009 10:34 AM

Mike,

For some reason I can't open your page in IE, but it did load fine in FireFox. I just went back to revisit your comments because I was trying to remember where I read Return on Involvement (ROI).  I love it.

And, I was recently discussing how sentiment can be skewed by sarcasm.  Naturally, being the sarcastic person I am, I can see me writing a review  that would be confusing to any listening software.  For example, "This service was great if you like waiting for you meal for 2 hours and getting a steak when you ordered fish!"  Many of the listening software applications would view this as a good comment.  It will be interesting to watch these tools evolve.  This is an exciting time!

by Platinum Elite Contributor on ‎06-10-2009 12:55 PM

What version of IE? I'll have a look at it.

by kjosephs on ‎06-12-2009 09:53 AM
On IE v7.0.5 and 7.0.6 64 bit it opens the page and gives a error message "operation aborted" and looks like it is painting the right panels at the time of the message.
by Platinum Elite Contributor on ‎06-12-2009 10:21 AM

I've just found the error... works first load in IE8, but fails on a refresh.

Not sure of the cause yet, but working on it.

Nice that Firefox has no issue - faster, more secure, more stable

Reminds me of the 90s, when web designers would put a log to show if the site was better in IE or Netscape and what screen resolution. I spent I while getting it right on both and created this:

Best viewed using your eyes and a computer
GET Microsoft Internet Explorer
Watch 'em box.GET Netscape

It's still on the Wayback Machine from 97 :-)

by kjosephs on ‎06-15-2009 12:20 PM
Thanks Mike.  I hear you loud an clear.  BTW, viewing in Firefox.
Post a Comment
Be sure to enter a unique name. You can't reuse a name that's already in use.
Be sure to enter a unique email address. You can't reuse an email address that's already in use.
Type the characters you see in the picture above.Type the words you hear.
Register Read Guidelines

Act! Marketplace Act! Fanatics Video Take Command Video

Labels