Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

One Of The Worst Things A Salesperson Can Do...

by Employee on ‎08-26-2014 10:33 AM (4,924 Views)

There are many perspectives regarding what to do or don't do as a salesperson. Personally I believe that bashing a competitor is at or near the top of the list. While this sounds like a no brainer, it still happens. Winning

the sale is rewarding and we all are passionate about our offerings so to avoid making this mistake, here are three points to consider:

Know your competition - lead with acknowledging their strengths and market position.  Counter with your strengths and key differentiators.

Be confident and professional - the competitive discussion is a representation of you and your company.  How this is handled can be an indicator of what the customer can expect from the relationship. 

No is an okay answer - not every prospect is a great fit for your product or service. Honest recommendations are appreciated and build trust. You never know when you may cross paths with this person or company again. 

Comments
by Astute Commentator donald.page
on ‎10-20-2014 03:01 AM

Michael,

I agree with you on these thoughts, Saying no is a very difficult thing for a sales person to do as it feels like failure, especially when they are driven by targets and salary is based largely on commission.

The same is true of employer/employee relationships. I have heard too often in my life, employees bashing their employers and vis-versa. My experience and rule in life is what goes around CAN come around. You never know when you might end up in contact with that person again and the boot may be on the other foot.

There is an old adage, "do as you would be done by". Parting on good terms is always advisable.

In the sales role you talk about, I believe that it is about being able to understand and respect the customer. I have found it happen a number of times in my life, that when you are are honest and open with your prospect "no sir it won't do this/that", that the conversation leads into other areas where, what you can offer is a better fit and you can offer other things as well which you didn't go in to discuss in the first place.

Labels