Boolean Logic Search Capabilities

by Portage Personnel on ‎03-08-2010 08:03 AM

We are a Temporary Staffing Service. We use ACT to track resources currently on Payroll, Assignment with other employers and those Currently Available. We can invoice directly from ACT as well as complete a multitude of other administrative task.

We leverage the power of the Groups function to quickly narrow the employment category. From there, if a specific skill or set of skills are sought, we need to use the Advanced Look Up query. It works but takes a long time to build.

I would love if ACT could provide the search functions similar to those of Boolen Logic. Boolean Logic is nothing more than the language used to tell computers exactly what we are looking for. It is a series of commands and operators that combine keywords into meaningful phrases for our search engines. Let’s take a look at the basic commands AND, OR, AND NOT and NEAR and the three basic operators; quotes, parentheses, and wild

card.

It's very similar to the Advanced Look Up but is much more user friendly.

Anyone have any ideas?

This is available using our Universal Search engine.
Comments
by Nickel Super Contributor lkamerman on ‎03-12-2010 07:53 AM
Hrmmm... just to clarify, you'd like to be able to do those sort of searches with boolean operators against a specific field, or?
by Master on ‎03-12-2010 07:37 PM
Have you tried Google Desktop? I haven't, so I can't say that it would even work, however if it does then I imagine it would meet your needs well.
by Portage Personnel on ‎03-15-2010 05:06 AM

The ideal scenario would be to search within the Notes field/Tab only. There I could paste the resume. Each file would have only one resume pasted in the tab.

From anywhere in ACT, we could select an icon, say a search icon. We then type in our criteria and it would run (looking for info in the in the Notes tab only).

The rest would remain the same as an advanced query (preview, create look up, etc.)

ACT is based on SQL and SQL has the same logic and operators as Boolean. Here's an article which explains SQL searches in full. http://www.simple-talk.com/sql/learn-sql-server/sql-server-full-text-search-language-features/

I don't understand why ACT won't index it's tables. An already good CRM would be so much more powerful.

by Moderator on ‎08-20-2012 11:37 AM
Status changed to: Available in Sage ACT! 2012
This is available using our Universal Search engine.

We want to hear your cool ideas for improving Act! products and services. So add your own ideas or kudo (vote) on the ideas of others here!

I have an idea! How do I get started?

One
Read our submission guidelines.

Two
Search for your idea. If you don't see it, submit a new one!

Three
Provide feedback on the ideas of others by voting with kudos and adding comments.
For more information about using ideas, read this thread.

Four
Track your ideas and those you like. Once you've posted or kudoed and idea, subscribe to be notified via email of the latest updates to the idea. From within the idea, click "Idea Options" which appears above the idea title and choose, "Subscribe to this idea".

Be sure to check back from time to time to see new ideas and status updates!

Here is a quick list of the recent ideas for speedy browsing!
Labels