Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Community Home Request Access Read Blogs Share Your Ideas Search Community View My Settings
pbulloch
Message 1 of 5 (939 Views)

ACT Smart Task Integration with Sage E-Marketing - Issues

I have recently been developing a series of Smart Tasks which are set to integrate with Sage E-Marketing.  Once set up, I have then selected to enable each smart task, and have discovered two serious problems within the current ACT! programme.  I am on Sage ACT! Premium 2011 Version 13.1.111.0 Hotfix 4.

The first problem relates to the use of an Opportunity Type record within Smart Tasks, and using the task to integrate with Sage E-Marketing - either to send an e-mail or add to drip marketing.  It basically doesn't work.  Despite there being an option within the smart task set-up to use Sage e-marketing with an opportunity type record, you can't actually do so.  This is apparently because Swiftpage cannot view the contact details within the opportunity, so the whole part of this feature is unfit for purpose.

The second problem is that where a Smart Task is set to run on a Contact Type record, on running the task, you physically have no choice but to manually click OK to send each e-mail.  The way in which Smart Tasks work is to queue once contact record at a time, so in the event that you have say 50+ records which meet the smart task criteria, ACT! will send each e-mail seperately, asking you to confirm and prompt each time.  Again, this makes this part of Smart Tasks unworkable.

The idea behind Smart Tasks is that you are able to automate part of your process, including Sending automated e-mail marketing.  With these two issues, the whole integration of Smart Tasks with Sage E-marketing just does not work and is completely unfit for purpose.  Having spoken with Sage about both of these issues, there doesn't seem to be a fix on the horizon anytime soon.

So, I've looked at a possible workaround (having spent a significant amount of time creating HTML templates using Swiftpage and desperate to get Smart Tasks working).  Within Smart Tasks you also have the option to send an e-mail via Outlook, and you can paste in HTML code within the ACT! Smart Task window and click a button to send as HTML.  Great.

The only issue here is that when you preview/send an HTML message via ACT! Smart Tasks in this way, any image links within the e-mail will not display.  Essentially you get a RED X and the picture will not download from the internet linked destination.  It seems clear than on converting the HTML e-mail from ACT! to Outlook, something is going wrong with the links and preventing the images from displaying.

Now whilst I have no doubt the initial issues with Smart Tasks will not be fixed for a while, can anyone help me with the issue of displaying linked images when converting to an Outlook message?

Yours (very frustrated) Paul

Please use plain text.
Bronze Contributor
pbuchtmann
Message 2 of 5 (916 Views)

Re: ACT Smart Task Integration with Sage E-Marketing - Issues

If you really want a solution that works go to www.crmaddons.com and check out the Northwood suite. It will create much more complex smart tasks and with integrated email tool works on time.

Paul Buchtmann
pbuchtmann@ozemail.com.au Australia
Australia's First ACT Consultant (1989)

FREE Record History to change default to Call or To-Do for ACT! 2010-2012 versions. Custom versions also available.
Please use plain text.
adykstra
Message 3 of 5 (910 Views)

The SAM application from www.crmaddons.com does NOT work with opportunities. There is now way to utilize and create "Smart Tasks" inside SAM that have anything to do with Opportunities, as none of the opportunity fields are available in SAM.
Please use plain text.
pbulloch
Message 4 of 5 (901 Views)

This is so frustrating.  I'm totally stuck right now.  There are two ways of sending e-mail via Smart Tasks, and effectively neither of them work.

If you send through Swiftpage, you can't use Opportuinity records, plus you have the issue of manually having to accept the prompt everytime you want to send an e-mail as a contact record through Swiftpage.

Or you can send via Outlook, and this way you can use both the Opportunity and Contact type records (ACT interogates the contact record which is attached to the opportunity to do this).  Problem with sending via outlook is that 1) linked images will not display in the e-mail when sending as HTML (tick box option) and 2) there are no merge fields!

Totally useless function and very disapointing indeed.  I'm now tempted to look at moving away from ACT altogether in favour of a solution which does enable automated CRM using e-mail!

If only the SAM solution could work with opportunites, at least this would be a solution.

Any more ideas out there to workaround this, perhaps with sending via Outlook?

HELP!

Please use plain text.
adykstra
Message 5 of 5 (900 Views)

I have the exact same complaint and challenge. What good is CRM if it can't help us "relationship manage" through email and for opportunities??

I notice a distinct silence from Sage anytime this issue comes up. Apparently they only participate in the process when they have "good" news.
Please use plain text.