Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Community Home Request Access Read Blogs Share Your Ideas Search Community View My Settings
The_SIlent_One
Message 1 of 8 (3,290 Views)

"there are not enough licenses in this database"

Hey,

Client is using ACT 2010 Standard. Cannot open the database. Get the following message:

"there are notenough licenses in this database to allow you to log in. Please contactyour Administrator"

As near as I can tell, this is because I created 3 users. There are only 2 users, but the first user was setup with the wrong name and I couldn't change it so I created a new user account for him, but wanted to wait until I knew that the new account was configured properly before removing it. I had no idea that the program would lock me out for having 3 users. I would've expected it to allow me to have dozens of users if I wanted to. I just would've expected that they would all have had to use the same computer and take turns. (An Extreme example I know)

My problem is that I need to access the data from this database. How do I do this? We are completely new to ACT and because of other system changes there has been no backup of the ACT Data for the first user who has been using it. We've got a month's worth of data that we need to pull out and don't know how...

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

Please use plain text.
Platinum Elite Contributor
GLComputing
Message 2 of 8 (3,256 Views)
Please use plain text.
Roy_Laudenslage
Message 3 of 8 (3,235 Views)

Re: "there are not enough licenses in this database"

Your problem isn't user accounts, it's licenses. Every active user must be attached to a separate license. You're right, you can create as many inactive user account as you want.

For your problem, have you tried logging in as the original user? 

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Tech Benders
royel@techbenders.com
Please use plain text.
The_SIlent_One
Message 4 of 8 (3,229 Views)

The 3rd account that I created has the same logon info as the first account. It's just the the name was wrong and I couldn't change it in the user management. Just to be clear: Logon Name and Password are identical between 1 and 3. Only the User Name is different.  

User Name

Logon Name

Logon Password

Please use plain text.
Roy_Laudenslage
Message 5 of 8 (3,224 Views)

It doesn't make any difference, the license is connected to the first account and can't be transferred to the third account unless the first account is made inactive to free up the licenses. If you have two licenses, log into the first and make the second account an administrator and then log into the second account and then you can modify the first account to either delete the account or make it inactive.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Tech Benders
royel@techbenders.com
Please use plain text.
GLComputing
Message 6 of 8 (3,212 Views)

Please use plain text.
The_SIlent_One
Message 7 of 8 (3,209 Views)

[ Edited ]

I didn't have it in front of me when I wrote this. Contact Name was wrong. I believe that I did try the Administrator account, but I will try again tomorrow.

I'm wondering if I'm out of luck because the account that I duplicated was likely the Administrator.

Message Edited by The_Silent_One on 11-24-2009 09:52 PM
Please use plain text.
The_SIlent_One
Message 8 of 8 (3,187 Views)

So I think what's happened is this. I started off with 1 user.

Contact Name      User Name    Security Role    Log on Status

User2                    User 1            Administrator    Active

User1 used this for about a month or more before I added the second user. When I added the second user, I realized that I had given the second users name as the contact name to User1. So after creating User2, I created User3 which was User1 but with the correct contact name for User1. I now believe that I setup User3 as the Administrator when I set them up. If I had deleted User1, I think we'd be fine. However, I wanted to wait until I knew that User3 was setup properly before deleting User1.

From what I am understanding of how this works, I can only see 2 possible ways that might allow retrieval. I'll throw them out to see if anyone has a yay or nay.

Possible Option#1

Activate our 2nd License for Act! 2010 Standard on the affected computer. Hopefully this would allow us to open the database by giving us 1 or 2 more user slots. 

Possible Option#2

Somehow find someone who uses ACT! and has enough licenses to be able to open our affected database. 

Please use plain text.