Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Community Home Request Access Read Blogs Share Your Ideas Search Community View My Settings
JohnZ
Message 1 of 13 (4,359 Views)

... no address books setup .....

I keep getting the message "Unable to perform the requested action. There are no ACT! address books setup at this time."

I'm using ACT! 2009 and Outlook 2003. I've gone through the preferences and added the address book. It works fine but then 

disconnects and the link is gone. I've had to reattach it 3 times in the last couple of hours.

Is there something in ACT! that's wiping out the connection?

Please use plain text.
Platinum Elite Contributor
ghollister
Message 2 of 13 (4,311 Views)

Re: ... no address books setup .....

The Address Book function is something that is managed by Outlook, and is based on Outlook being able to access the ACT! database to obtain the address book information.

- Where is the location of the .PAD file used to open the database? In other words, is the filepath you put in Outlook when adding ACT! address book local to your machine or a network path?

Greig Hollister
Sage

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software

Please use plain text.
JohnZ
Message 3 of 13 (4,302 Views)

Outlook is on the local machines. The ACT! .pad file is on our network server.

I haven't assigned a file path through Outlook. Only through the preferences tab in ACT!. I'll check into this.

Please use plain text.
nhirsch
Message 4 of 13 (4,283 Views)

I have the identical message every day.  Seems like it lasts one day then resets.   Pain in the butt.   Act 2010, Outlook 2007 and database on server.   I tried UNC (\\server-name\directory) instead of mapped drive letter and will let you know if that works.   If any other way to solve this, please advise!  Thanks,.
Please use plain text.
npojman
Message 5 of 13 (4,229 Views)

iI have this exact issue today it started randomly during the day. I get the error message anytime i try to do anything within outlook, click on a new message etc.. it is extremely annoying.

i am running windows 7 with outlook 2007 and access ACT database on our network..

PLEASE ADVISE

Please use plain text.
cochtech
Message 6 of 13 (4,007 Views)

Has anyone found a solution to this issue?  I am having the same issue where the database on a server is loosing connection with outlook and generating the same message. The system itself isn't loosing connection with the network, just outlook and act are loosing connection with each other.  

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Nickel Elite Contributor
rbrust
Message 7 of 13 (3,315 Views)

For some reason I believe the PAD file needs to be local.  Try that...
Richard Brust
ACT! Certified Consultant
richard@rbrDataSolutions.com
Please use plain text.
adrianaslett
Message 8 of 13 (3,293 Views)

This is exactly the same problem I am experiencing that Sage in the UK states does not and more annoyingly state cannot happen - then they want money to fix it !

If you look in the registry entries the keys have been deleted. It happens randomly. You re-attach the address books then it deletes them over and over. They claim it is my network.

Problem is all my users have to close outlook, re-attach and hope for the best. On each machine it happens at different intervals so it is nothing to do with the network, nor should it be that the PAD files have to be local. Surely a network drive is the same as having a local drive just that all users can access it and the server manages it !

Someone at Sage needs to take ownership of this problem

Please use plain text.
EJStuart
Message 9 of 13 (1,290 Views)

We have been having this issue at our office now for 6 months. Our IT department can't get it resolved and no one at Sage has stepped up to the plate with a fix for this. Looking on the net it seems this is a pretty common issue and a big error in the programming. I don't know how Sage can expect people to pay to have this fixed when it is their issue. Has anyone found a good work around for this yet?

Please use plain text.
brfrompa
Message 10 of 13 (369 Views)

I started to have this issue when I cleaned up my desktop.  The .pad file was on the desktop and I wasn't using it to start ACT! so in the trash it went. 

I restored it from trash.  A bit later when I either exited or started Outlook It asked me to reconnect to the ACT! address book.  The dialog had already found the restored .pad file on my desktop.  All I had to do was enter my ACT! user name and password and things were back to normal. 

ACT! db is on the "server"  on our peer-to-peer network.

Please use plain text.