Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Community Home Request Access Read Blogs Share Your Ideas Search Community View My Settings
swilush
Message 1 of 5 (945 Views)

mvd to new PC - can't open database and can't update ACT

I'm using ACT 2005 with XP Pro,  Our old PC crashed and I have installed ACT onthe new replacement.  However, when I try to open the database, I get a messages that says :can't access the database" with no error code or reason noted.  I can open the demo database.  I thought it might be the result of one or more free upgrades that I need to catch up, but I also can't upgrade.  I select the ACT Update option on the help menu and select download option from the dialog box.  Nothing happens - no error message - no download - just nothing.

Any ideas or suggestions?  Thanks!

Please use plain text.
Platinum Elite Contributor
ghollister
Message 2 of 5 (907 Views)

Re: mvd to new PC - can't open database and can't update ACT

Please see the following Knowledgebase article:

Error: "The database could not be accessed. In order to access this database, check your network con...

Greig Hollister
Sage

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software

Please use plain text.
swilush
Message 3 of 5 (901 Views)

I read that one and another one based on an answer to another post.  I did a "restore as" on the database ( I had just copied the database before) and that seemed to get me a step closer.  Now I'm getting an error message that the framework needs to be updated, which would make sense.  There were probably minor releases  However, when I select the "Act Update" and "download" options, the dialog box disappears and nothing else happens - no error message - nothing. I turned off my virus scan and the firewall and re-tried the update - still nothing.  Any other suggestions?

Sherry

Please use plain text.
Platinum Elite Contributor
ghollister
Message 4 of 5 (888 Views)

[ Edited ]
I would suggest downloading the latest update for your version of ACT! from our downloads site at http://act.com/downloads and then installing it.
Message Edited by ghollister on 07-09-2009 01:43 AM

Greig Hollister
Sage

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software

Please use plain text.
swilush
Message 5 of 5 (872 Views)

I finally got it to work.  The link didn't work - I clicked, cut/pasted, and even typed, but always goth the message that the location couldn't be found.  However, I did find the download page on the Act website and was able to download the latest 2005 version there. 

Thanks for your help!

Sherry

Please use plain text.