Platinum Elite Contributor
ghollister
Message 11 of 28 (1,909 Views)

Re: exception of type 'systemOutOfMemoryException' was thrown.

Usually if the service continually tries to attach a message, it means that it is for a reason other than one listed pre-handled list of exceptions. To see a list of these exceptions, browse to the Act for Windows (version#) folder where the Preferences and History Queue folders are located and open the ActHistoryErrorHandlers.xml file. For example, the handler for "contact not found" is NoContactsFoundException. The default is 1 attempt, then the message goes to the Holding folder, then gets removed after 1 day. If the reason the message is not attaching is not in this list (or the .xml file is missing altogether), then the service will continually try to attach the message since there is no handler for that error. A couple of common unhandled exceptions are that the message or attachments are too large or the email was sent to a distribution list (this one is actually a reported issue currently under investigation).

To find out what the reason or reasons these messages are not being attached, go into the Holding folder inside the History Queue folder and open any file called tmp###.xml.error. This will display the reason for the attach failure. If needed, you can add this reason to the exception list in the ActHistoryErrorHandlers.xml file. You will need to restart the Act.Outlook.Service.exe service after doing, and after deleting any items in the History Queue folder.

Greig Hollister
Sage

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software

Please use plain text.
Tuned Listener
dennyp
Message 12 of 28 (1,889 Views)

For what it's worth, these are the types of error I found on my system:

System.NullReferenceException"
System.OutOfMemoryException"
Act.Data.DatabaseAccessException"
Act.Shared.Config.LoadException"
Act.Framework.SQLVersionException"
Act.Framework.MetaData.SchemaLoadException"
Act.Framework.MissingMasterDatabaseException"
System.IO.FileNotFoundException"

I added these to the ErrorHandlers file and we'll see what happens.

Is it safe to assume that I would have to carry these forward when upgrading ACT! versions?

Please use plain text.
ghollister
Message 13 of 28 (1,886 Views)

Possibly...I'm not sure what the handler file will look like in future versions. It would be best to edit the existing default file as needed.

Greig Hollister
Sage

Please use plain text.
Tuned Listener
dennyp
Message 14 of 28 (1,882 Views)

When I use services.msc to list the running services, I don't see a Act.Outlook.Service in the list. Although using the Windows Task Manager, I do see an entry for Act.Outlook.Service.exe. How do I stop and restart Act.Outlook.Service.exe if it is not in the services.msc list?
Please use plain text.
ghollister
Message 15 of 28 (1,877 Views)

To stop the service: Open the Windows Task Manager and end the process under the Processes tab

To start the service: Browse to C:\Program Files\ACT\Act for Windows (or Web) and double-click the Act.Outlook.Service.exe file

Greig Hollister
Sage

Please use plain text.
Tuned Listener
dennyp
Message 16 of 28 (1,873 Views)

Thanks. I've done that and will monitor for OutOfMemory exceptions.
Please use plain text.
Jeff F
Message 17 of 28 (1,846 Views)

Thanx for all the help so far.  It seems most of my issues do have to do with e-mails sent to Outlook distribution lists.  I located my History Queue Folder.  In it is 3 more folders.  Errors, Holding and Logs.  In the Errors folder I have 2 tmp error files.  In the Holding folder I have a tmp error file and an xml file. 

Also, in the main History Queue folder I have tmp Outlook Items and tmp xml files.  I read the xml files and they correspond to the distribution list e-mails.

What should I be deleting?

Please use plain text.
ghollister
Message 18 of 28 (1,843 Views)

We usually advise deleting all the items in the History Queue folder (especially if there are a large number of messages in there), then stopping and restarting the ACT! Outlook Service. However, if you want the service to attempt to reattach these items, then remove the suspect emails (distrubution lists, large attachments), stop/start the service and see if the remaining messages will attach. It will not happen all at once...they will trickle into History. For emails to individual contacts where the exception is that the contact cannot be found, you would have to ensure that the email address in ACT! matches the email address used in the message in order for the message to successfully attach.

Greig Hollister
Sage

Please use plain text.
Jeff F
Message 19 of 28 (1,829 Views)

Do I even delete the Error, Holding and Logs folders or just what is in them?  Sorry for being thick!

Please use plain text.
ghollister
Message 20 of 28 (1,829 Views)

No worries. Yes, delete the folders as well (new ones will be created if needed), so you have an empty History Queue folder.

Greig Hollister
Sage

Please use plain text.