Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Community Home Request Access Read Blogs Share Your Ideas Search Community View My Settings
bluescott
Message 1 of 1 (391 Views)

can't start ACT 2008 without reboot (sometimes multiple times)

I have 2 laptops running ACT 2008 - one is setup as the sync master, the other the sync client.  Both machines go off the network periodically when we go on the road. 

The sync client periodically has trouble starting up - when I start ACT on that machine and try to login, I get the following error:

"The database andrea2010 could not be accessed.  In order to access this database, check your network connection and verify
that your database server is available.  It may be necessary to disable any firewall software on your computer or the server.

Press F1 for a troubleshooting guide."

Here is the contents of my PAD file:

<?xml version="1.0" standalone="no"?>  <!DOCTYPE ACTDatabasePADFile>

<!--This file represents a Pointer to an Act Database or [PAD]--> <ACTDatabase name="andrea2010" host="ANDREAOFFICE"

location="C:\home\atb\ACT\Database" type="Sql" />

Now, andrea2010 is a client on my wife's laptop to the ACT database on my laptop.  When this happens, I verify that her laptop can see my laptop (I can ping my machine), all firewalls are off.  If I reboot her laptop, then restart ACT, usually that fixes the problem (but sometimes not - in which case we reboot again).  After that, we start ACT, login, and everything is fine.  We do NOTHING to the sync master machine.

So, I'm guessing that ACT gets into a weird network state, and I'm hoping there's something I can do without having to reboot to fix this?  Thanks in advance.

Please use plain text.