Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Community Home Request Access Read Blogs Share Your Ideas Search Community View My Settings
Astute Commentator
zacclay
Message 1 of 5 (1,588 Views)
Accepted Solution

Windows 8 and SQL server question

So, I made the leap to windows 8. I am loving it so far and was really excited to try out the next OS from Windows. However, I failed to do my homework before hand regarding ACT. I have ACT 2013 and SQL 2005. SQL 2005 is incompattible with Windows 8. So, my question is this:

If I install an updated SQL server that works with windows 8, I am going to loose all of my data, or will that be converted when I updgrade SQL. I appologize if this has been answered somewhere else, but from my research I wasn't able to find a satisfactory answer.

Please use plain text.
Platinum Elite Contributor
ghollister
Message 2 of 5 (1,535 Views)

Re: Windows 8 and SQL server question

[ Edited ]

Hello zacclay,
First, know that ACT! 2013 is not yet supported on Windows 8 untl Service Pack 1 releases (target is January). However, for the most part users are saying that 2013 runs fine on W8. The best way for you is:
- Uninstall ACT! and SQL Server through Programs and Features in the Control Panel
- Reboot
- Do a full reinstall using your ACT! 2013 installation disk or download. This will reinstall ACT! and SQL 2008 R2 SP1 and properly connect them

Greig Hollister
Sage

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software

Please use plain text.
Astute Commentator
zacclay
Message 3 of 5 (1,531 Views)

And I won't loose my data?

Please use plain text.
Silver Contributor
jonmklub
Message 4 of 5 (1,529 Views)

No, your data is not affected by an uninstall reinstall.  ACT 2013 uses sql 2008r2. I"m not sure where the 2005 came from.

Jon Klubnik| ActTrainer.com
(866)710 4228

ACT! Certified Consultant / ACT! Premier Trainer / ACT! Hosting Provider

Act v17 Virtual Roadshow Webinars: acttrainer.com/texas-act-road-show/
Monday, November 3, 2014 at 9am CEN
Tuesday, November 4, 2014 at 1...

Please use plain text.
Platinum Elite Contributor
ghollister
Message 5 of 5 (1,529 Views)

[ Edited ]

No, your data should be just fine. If you want to be sure, then make a copy of your database files (.adf, .alf, database files folder) and put them in a different directory. Unfortunately you can't make an ACT! backup due to SQL 2005 not working, but copying the files is the next best thing.

Greig Hollister
Sage

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software

Please use plain text.