Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Community Home Request Access Read Blogs Share Your Ideas Search Community View My Settings
Platinum Elite Contributor
GLComputing
Message 31 of 41 (4,216 Views)

Re: Windows 64-bit Information for ACT! by Sage users

erictigger wrote:

I ordered Act 10 the end of June and Installed it on my System in July. Shortly After, version 11 came out.

ACT! 2009 was released in September.

I sent several emails back and forth to get 10 to work, and then when 11 came out, asked if there was a free upgrade, since I'd recently purchased 10. Rssponse was no.

Depending in what country, there is either a 30 or 60 day free upgrade policy

A week ago I upgraded to a Vista 64 bit laptop for the 8GB of RAM.

Surprise, Act 10 won't install on Vista 64. I looked for updates that would do it and emailed Support a week ago.

Not much of a surprise... Vista x64 on recently became popular enough for Sage to do the development to support

I've gotten no response from support. I logged into the forum, hoping one of the moderators might answer where support has and find a reference to an Upgrade to 11 if within 60 days, which my original request was well within 60 days from purchase.

So, if someone has any idea how to get the upgrade for free, since support won't respond, please let me know.

This would be a customer-service, not a support issue. Have a look for the customer service numbers for your country on the wb site

I've used numerous versions of Act since 1995 but I will not purchase another version of it with the lack of response and planning on Sage's part.

First, it is a Sage architecture issue, not a Windows Vista issue. The Act install wouldn't even let the program install on Vista 64 to be run in 32 bit mode.

Many Microsoft products won't install on Vista x64 either.

Second, when someone specifically requests an upgrade after having just bought a new version only to have a newer version come out shortly after, the upgrades should be free and automatic.

Third, where is customer support supposed to be handled, cause I've not gotten a response in a week.

From the web site, I get this link - http://www.act.com/support/customerservice/index.cfm

Thanks for any help.

Please use plain text.
erictigger
Message 32 of 41 (5,665 Views)

Contacted Customer Service and Customer Support. Finally, I emailed the VP listed under contact information and hopefully will get a response.

11 may have been released in September, but it was advertised and mentioned by tech support when I was trying to get the updates to 10 to work.

Either way, a program that is still in its 4th month since I purchased it should work on a OS that has been out for a year.

Heck, even the link at the beginning of this thread was back in November, showing that Sage new it was an issue.

As for MS products not installing, I imagine there are older products that don't. My Office XP Pro installed without any flaws, works well, and updated through Windows update.

However, I am concerned about ACT that I purchased from Sage.

As a side, I'm not surprised my Quickbooks Pro from 2002 won't install, since it it 6 years old. :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
GLComputing
Message 33 of 41 (5,661 Views)

erictigger wrote:

Contacted Customer Service and Customer Support. Finally, I emailed the VP listed under contact information and hopefully will get a response.

11 may have been released in September, but it was advertised and mentioned by tech support when I was trying to get the updates to 10 to work.

Either way, a program that is still in its 4th month since I purchased it should work on a OS that has been out for a year.

Why? They support operating systems when enough of their users request it. XP 64-bit was never supported, and still isn't because there aren't enough potential users of ACT! who run it. 64-bit support was only added to ACT! 2009 as more users wanted it, especially on the servers.

Heck, even the link at the beginning of this thread was back in November, showing that Sage new it was an issue.

Not really... it was just to answer the question that the current versions did not support x64 and that they were looking at it but they did "not believe there are substantial benefits to end users"

As for MS products not installing, I imagine there are older products that don't. My Office XP Pro installed without any flaws, works well, and updated through Windows update.

Ahhh... one product does, so all products should? I use several products still being sold that use MS SQL 2000, and MS have said that it will not be supported on Vista, let alone Vista x64

However, I am concerned about ACT that I purchased from Sage.

As a side, I'm not surprised my Quickbooks Pro from 2002 won't install, since it it 6 years old. :smileyhappy:

Bottom line, anyone who gets a new operating system should ensure that the applications they use have been updated before they upgrade. No software vendor will update to support an os unless there are enough users who would need it.

Please use plain text.
GLComputing
Message 34 of 41 (5,646 Views)

The reality is that Sage, like ALL responible software vendors do support the operating environments where enough of their users will need it to warrant the R&D costs. The fact that many CRM products never supported XP x64 is more an issues with Micosoft's failure to market it except to those who's work demanded > 3GB of RAM... which, untill Vista's requirements, wasn't that many and very few in sales oriented roles.

The purpose of this thread was to inform users of the x64 status... ie that as of ACT! 2009, it's is supported on W2003, W2008 and Vista where the extra RAM is likely to be needed and used by users who would use ACT!.

Blaming the messenger for a message you don't like as about as useful as... 

Please use plain text.
ravenell
Message 35 of 41 (5,553 Views)

I agree with the users on this issue. With our Act Advantage program we HAD to upgrade to the latest and greatest. Also bought a new desktop that had a x64 processor. Just don't understand Sage. Meaning this keep your customers happy and not just like either buy our software or find something else to use. All of your developers use SQL for the backbone, so KISS.
Randy Avenell
New Vision Computer Consulting
(559) 286-8225
New.VisionCC@Live.Com
Please use plain text.
erictigger
Message 36 of 41 (5,545 Views)

I am happy to report that after contacting David Van Toor's office, Gregory Martin was very helpful, apologized that the right thing wasn't done with the first request, and sent me the link to download the upgrade.

The download, unzip, and installation worked beautifully, with no problems and I am a happy ACT! 11 user.

If, like me, you purchased ACT 2008 recently, I wouldn't settle for a "no" from tech support or customer service, or worse, no answer.

Kudos to Gregory Martin for taking care of this.

Thanks again, Greg.

Please use plain text.
Cricri
Message 37 of 41 (5,092 Views)

Hi,

We have the same issue We bought ACT 2008 in July and we can not run on the windows vista 64 bits. I have call the support and they can not do nothing.We have to buy update liscence.

Regrads,

Christian

Please use plain text.
ronin74
Message 38 of 41 (5,073 Views)

I'm also affected by this issue - I haven't had v10 long but need to upgrade my main machine to XP x64. (Vista doesn't suit my needs and VMWare is well outside our budget.)

Can I simply install Act v10 on another (XP 32 bit) computer to run as the Act server and access it from the x64 machine as a client?

many thanks,

Kurt Schubert

Please use plain text.
boilrmkr
Message 39 of 41 (4,987 Views)

[ Edited ]
  • I won't start in on my previous gripes about Sage's owners (of which their have been too many) yearly $170 "update" or Sage's total lack of willingness to take responsibility for writing decent code and adding REAL/USABLE features instead of relying on "outside add-ons or the disappearing passwords or my disappearing email folders (and the mysterious ACT email folder recovery software the tech used to recover my lost mail (makes ya wonder how much that happens if they took the time to write software for it but won't do much more than write cosmetic programming changes to ACT)).
  • Instead, I'll start in on buying a new laptop (Vista 64) and ACT! not being willing to operate on it just 8 months after I bought the last update.
  • I've read every thread from front to back that came up after hours of search. The only things I could find that concerned me were the SQL issues with 64 bit and some programs requiring 32, thereby disabling other 64 programs. So....
  • Now, I have paid Sage AGAIN (and the last time) for Version 11 today. Suprise, suprise!! It won't load my database from the same drive where the new software installation resides (next to the last three ACT incarnation created directories). It won't load the new V11 demo. Turned the firewalls off. I have enabled full access for the software to all my networks. JEEZ! Here I am again paying hundreds of dollars for someone's software product and they want ME!?! to change my computer's settings and internal OS settings to make their product work?!?! Still no joy. At least it "acted" like it did a good install with no errors.
  • Just got off the phone after spending about 45 minutes with my Sage Support friend in India. During the final stages of the process he had me remove SQL '05 and associates and did nothing to reinstall. He did his best and we exhausted all his "local" options. Now have a case # and waiting for a call from a tech so I can give him remote access to see if he can figure it out.
Message Edited by boilrmkr on 12-26-2008 01:07 PM
Message Edited by boilrmkr on 12-26-2008 06:09 PM
Please use plain text.
Roy_Laudenslage
Message 40 of 41 (4,967 Views)

Are you running ACT! as the administrator?
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Tech Benders
royel@techbenders.com
Please use plain text.