Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Unable to connect to Sync Server

Accepted Solution Solved
Highlighted
Copper Contributor
Accepted Solution

Unable to connect to Sync Server

after figuring out that I needed to create a new user with the old computer's user name (because I copied all of the old files to the new machine) I seem to have full functionality but...I cannot sync to my netbook and receive this error code: Act is unable to connect to the sync server. Check to be sure "accept incoming sync" is enabled in the main database (it is) and that the network sync service is running (not sure what that means, sync set seems correct). Also be sure you are connected to your network (running on home wifi). Contact your admin for assistance (that's me). Help!

Also, on opening the database I am getting: For added functionality fill out the windows phone information dialog. And on exiting: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author storm91360
2 weeks ago
Administrator

Re: Unable to connect to Sync Server

Hi storm,

When you make your backup, ensure you select Include Attachments.

Once you've restored the backup, and have confirmed everything is correct and working, then you can delete the old database if you wish, as it should no longer need to be used. You can manually delete the database by opening the database, then click Tools > Database Maintenance > Delete Database.

If you like, you can also perform a backup and restore of the Personal Files from the other machine. This just includes some toolbar customisation data and other user preferences etc. No vital database info is stored here.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Platinum Elite Contributor

Two issues, if you're using ACT! pro there isn't a separate sync server, you need to have ACT! open on the host machine. Also when you move a database to a new host machine you need to create a new remote database for the remote machine.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129
Administrator

[ Edited ]

Hi storm,

Please can you let us know what version of Act! an Windows you are using?

In regards to the phone information dialog error on opening the database, please see the solutions posted in this thread.

For the Object reference error when exiting Act!, please see the following Knowledgebase article: http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/38220

Copper Contributor

I did have Act open on the host machine. Since the host machine has been out of commission for so long I have been doing all of the last weeks updates to the remote machine, will creating a new remote database for the remote erase all of the new (unsynced) notes and files from it?

Copper Contributor

sorry, this is as you noted a different string from the original post - Act Pro 2012 v 14.1.108.0 - Windows 10 (on new computer after old one running Window7 crashed).

Administrator

storm91360 wrote:

I did have Act open on the host machine. Since the host machine has been out of commission for so long I have been doing all of the last weeks updates to the remote machine, will creating a new remote database for the remote erase all of the new (unsynced) notes and files from it?

Yes it will. If you only have those two machines with different changes, Take a backup from the remote, and perform a 'restore as' on the host. You can then re-create your remote database using the newly restored database, and stop using the old host database and remote.

Copper Contributor

Gary, thanks for your quick response. I will give it a try in a bit. Overall Act has been a very stable and dependable database I could not do without.

Copper Contributor

but...what if I have made changes to both machines. I have been attaching relevant emails with their attachments, maybe 50 or so, to the new host machine after I got functionality back. Maybe not the worst thing but is there a work around?

Administrator

You could import the backup from the remote into the current host (or vice versa) and merge the records. The following Knowledgebase article explains how to do this: http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/22042
Copper Contributor

Gary, again thank you. Will let you know after I get home how it turned out.