wastenot
Message 1 of 9 (1,532 Views)

Troubles Opening a Backedup Database

I continue to have problems opening a database I have saved on my back up external hard drive. (My original copy was moved mistakenly so I'm opening this back up).  I have a feeling it's because of VISTA.  I get error messages ranging from "incorrect password" to "file name exists" to "cammpt be accessed" etc. etc. etc. 

Is there a step by step process listed somewhere on what to do?  I have disabled firewalls etc., deleted the .pad database and tried to open the .adf file  It's so very frustrating that I paid all this money for this program and I cannot open my file. 

Please use plain text.
Platinum Elite Contributor
ghollister
Message 2 of 9 (1,507 Views)

Re: Troubles Opening a Backedup Database

[ Edited ]
When you go to File/Restore/Database, use the Restore As option.  Give the database a unique name (one you have never used before).  You will need the username of a valid user of the database the backup was created from.  There may or may not be a password associated with that username.  Also, with Vista, make sure you have turned off User Account Control (UAC) from the User Account options in the Control Panel....and that you are logged into Vista as an Administrator.
Message Edited by ghollister on 10-06-2008 06:24 PM

Greig Hollister
Sage

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software

Please use plain text.
wastenot
Message 3 of 9 (1,490 Views)

Continued Troubles Opening a Backedup Database

First, the zip file on my external hard drive that I back up to said it does not contain an ACT database.  Then I selected a restore option from my Vista Back Up and Restore menu, restored my original .adf file, and when I tried to open it, got an error the .alf file cannot be found; this is not a valid ACT database.  THEN, I restored (again using Vista) the .pad file.  Now I get an error message "the database cannot be accessed, check your network connection," (I have already turned off the windows firewall in the control panel AND in my Norton Antivirus program) and cannot open it.

PLEASE HELP ME!!! 

Please use plain text.
dlunceford
Message 4 of 9 (1,479 Views)

Re: Continued Troubles Opening a Backedup Database

Make sure SQL Server (ACT7) is started in services (Start -> Run -> services.msc)
Please use plain text.
wastenot
Message 5 of 9 (1,473 Views)

I dont see a RUN command line - I'm using Vista.  I do see a SQL Server Configuration Manager for windows.  Are you saying to start up ACT from a place other than a shortcut?
Please use plain text.
Platinum Elite Contributor
ghollister
Message 6 of 9 (1,436 Views)

With Vista, the Run command is optional. Just click Start, then type services.msc in the Search box at the bottom.  When you list of local services comes up, find SQL Server (ACT7).  If you do not see the word "Started" in the line item, then right-click the service and choose "Start".

Greig Hollister
Sage

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software

Please use plain text.
wastenot
Message 7 of 9 (1,411 Views)

SAGE, USEFUL advise NEEDED!!! A SOLUTION PLEASE!!!

OK, the sql server for act has been active (or started).  Please help with what to do now! 

I keep trying all of these suggestions by Sage and still not able to open my database.  I just don't understand why this process should be so complicated. 

I am so very frustrated that I cannot open my database, i'm losing time and money not being able to follow up on my customers. 

HELP!this is NOT making me a fan of ACT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please use plain text.
dlunceford
Message 8 of 9 (1,399 Views)

Re: SAGE, USEFUL advise NEEDED!!! A SOLUTION PLEASE!!!

Are you able to open or create any database?
Please use plain text.
wastenot
Message 9 of 9 (1,345 Views)

Re: SAGE, USEFUL advise NEEDED!!! A SOLUTION PLEASE!!!

Yes I can create new databases (I had to because I cannot open my backed up one) and I then open this database no problem.  Please tell me you can get me an answer - I really need to follow up on clients in my initial database!
Please use plain text.