Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Community Home Request Access Read Blogs Share Your Ideas Search Community View My Settings
sjaffe
Message 1 of 33 (2,942 Views)

SAGE ACT for Windows 8

I recently had a hard drive crach with Windows 7 on that previous computer.  I now have a new computer with Windows 8.  To all of you on the community, Windows 8 is not compatible with any ACT program.  I cannot even uninstall parts of ACT.  It is a mess.  Call SAGE Act and they will tell you the same thing.  What they want you to do is buy the upgrade for over $219.00 and install a new program on our computers.  Sad, but true this is how companies make more money!

Please use plain text.
Platinum Elite Contributor
ghollister
Message 2 of 33 (2,942 Views)

Re: SAGE ACT for Windows 8

[ Edited ]

Hello sjaffe,
Welcome to the Sage ACT! Community. To clarify Windows 8 support, Sage ACT! 2013 with Service Pack 1 applied is supported with Windows 8, so the part about no version of ACT! being supported is not true. While prior versions are not certified supported, there are have been no significant issues reported running versions 2011 and 2012 on Windows 8.

As for versions 2010 and older, those versions will have issues as they use older versions of Microsoft SQL Server (2005, 2000) which Windows 8 does not support. Unfortunately, the changes Microsoft made in Windows 8 are too significant to try and patch older ACT! versions, so we have no current plans for official Windows 8 support for ACT! 2012 and prior.

Greig Hollister
Sage

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software

Please use plain text.
Copper Super Contributor
dgrana1
Message 3 of 33 (2,824 Views)

Greg...

This is interesting as I'm about to purchase a Windows 8 Laptop (I run ACT! Pro 2012).  I was told by online chat that I have to upgrade to ACT! Pro 2013.  I saw no real benefit of upgrading to 2013 to justify the upgrade cost, but can 2012 run on Windows 8?

Please use plain text.
Copper Contributor
Jillian Trish
Message 4 of 33 (2,823 Views)

I recently purchased a new laptop with Windows 8 -- for all of you who want to doWORK on a Windows 8 laptop -- it is really different and is taking some getting  used to.  I wish I had realized the difference it would make ... I would have stayed with Windows 7!! 

Please use plain text.
Copper Contributor
Lmarazzi
Message 5 of 33 (2,809 Views)

running act 13 on desktop and laptop win8 machines, no problems whatsoever

Please use plain text.
northcro
Message 6 of 33 (2,802 Views)

The only problem I am having operating Act! 2013 Pro with SP1 on a Desktop computer with Windows 8 Pro  is when I exit Act! I am unable to start up Act! again later without going to Task Manager which states Act! is still operating in background, highlight the program and end the task. Then I can start up Act! again from its Desktop icon either on the Desktop or via the Programs icon in Windows 8.

I have tried exiting Act! with the exit option on the File Drop Down menu option in Act! and also tried with ALT-F4 but I still have to go Task Manager and close down the Act! program first before I am able to start up Act! again.

Does anyone have any suggestions how to get around this annoying problem. Other than this problem Act! 2013 is so far operating brilliantly and linking to outside programs, including Outlook 2013 etc. 

Please use plain text.
Copper Contributor
Lmarazzi
Message 7 of 33 (2,797 Views)

I know one suggestion will be to uninstall and reinstall act
You could try just reinstalling over the existing one, or tun Act diag. (Is there one for 13)?
I have had some issues with earlier versions that were only solved by one or more of the above.
Please use plain text.
Platinum Elite Contributor
ghollister
Message 8 of 33 (2,794 Views)

This may not be a Windows 8 specific issue - we have seen this with other operating systems and ACT! versions as well. Please see this Knowledgebase article for more information:
http://kb.Sagesoftwareonline.com/cgi-bin/Sagesoftwareonline.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=2751...

Greig Hollister
Sage

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software

Please use plain text.
northcro
Message 9 of 33 (2,772 Views)

Hi Greig:

Thanks for your advice and link. I am running a Screen share program so I can operate two screens side by side which could be causing the problem yet it doesn't effect Family Tree Maker 2012 which also runs on a SQL Database and is on the same workstation.

I will temporarily disconnect screen share program and see if that resolves the issue.

Please use plain text.
northcro
Message 10 of 33 (2,771 Views)

Thanks Lmarazzi for your suggestions and advice. Will follow through to see if that may resolve the issue - see below Greig's suggestions and link, along with my reply.

Please use plain text.