Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Problem installing act 2010 on one of two computers

Re: Problem installing act 2010 on one of two computers

Thanks David--I'll give it a try.  --Bob

And it worked! Thanks again to all for the help so far. I am sure I 'll be back!--Bob

OK I'm back. Didn't take long.  I have been opening and closing Act several times today. Then I did a Windows backup to an external hard drive of my entire computer. Later I opened Act and the entire bottom half of my contact display is blank. No Tab, no history, no notes etc. Then I tried to restore the database that I backed up this morning and when I tried to restore it once again asked for a user name and password, neither of which do I have. Act2010 is not password protected and I don't know what my user name would be. I have tried my name listed in the default contact with no password but no joy. I would love to find out why the bottom half of my contacts page disappeared and how to bring it back, and I am still baffled by the password and user name request. Does this mean I can never restore a backed up database? that would be a real problem. An ideas for me? Thanks again. Your Pal, Bob

Administrator

Hi Bob,

On the database you can access, click on Tools > Manage Users. The usernames for all the users are listed here. You can also change the passwords for the users.

Regarding the missing detail view tabs, If you switch to another layout, are the tabs missing there as well?

The tabs may be there but out of sight. Go to the bottom of your layout and slowly move your mouse around until you see the cursor pictured below.

Act!_2017-02-09_12-06-38.png

When you see this, hold your left mouse button down and move up to "drag" the tabs into view.

If this does not work, then it might be nesasarry to rebuild your preferences file. The following Knowledgebase article explains this process. I would recommend following the manual method. http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/14770

Hi Gary--

Thanks again for your response. Yes I did finally discover the Manage Users tab and discovered my user name, which apparently the program created. Oddly, it was my default contact name as you suggested it might be but with one twist: My default contact name is my name including my middle initial. The user name is my name without it. Strange stuff.

. I was able to restore a database using that user name and no password. Then I tried to change the user name and in the password area there were dots that looked to represent an existing password, so I blanked them out and clicked Ok but it did not work as the system encountered a message Act Scheduler error....Access to the path.....Act Scheduler.xmi is denied. Contact administrator... So I just left it as is and it worked OK. Not going to worry about that.

On the missing fields, you were right. They were way at the bottom completely out of sight. Why in the world would that happen? I did as you suggested and raised them up. Like a pair of too loose pants falling down.  I then backed up the file to my jump drive and restored the file. The fields were visible this time but had slipped down an inch or so. Will they continue to slip each time? Strange behavior.  Also on my backup and restore to and from my jump drive, when I first tired to restore it wouldn't let me, saying I had to use "Restore As", which I tried, but it wanted a different database name, etc. Then I backed up again and tried Restore and it worked fine. This program is baffling and seems unnecessarily complicated compared to Act 2000. Oh well, moving forward in small steps. But for the time being I will continue to run Act2000 and Act2010 in parallel just in case. Thanks again --Bob