Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Problem installing act 2010 on one of two computers

Re: Problem installing act 2010 on one of two computers

[ Edited ]

Hi Roy--Thank you also for chiming in. When I try the restore function using a database from the laptop backed up onto a jump drive, the system asks for a new database name, a user name and password, For the user name, I have tried the name of the computer, my user name (as listed under C:/Users) and others, and no password.  The laptop itself (but not the Act2010 database) is password protected and so I have tried my user name from that computer (which is the same as the PC) and the password for the laptop, but without success. Still befuddled, but thanks for your idea.. --Bob

Platinum Elite Contributor

When you so a restore as in ACT! you must give the database a new name. The user name it's asking for is the ACT! supervisor user name. In a single user database the only user is the supervisor. Another way to find the user name if you can get the old database open is to open the database and the contact name for the default contact record is typically the user name.
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

[ Edited ]

Thanks for your response Roy.  Mine is a single user database as far as I know and the default contact that opens when the database is opened is my own. In attempting to restore the Act2010 database created on the laptop to the PC,I have given the new database a different name and have tried the exact contact name in my default contact record as well as several variations found on the computer, with no password and with the computer's password. None of the combinations have worked so far I am afraid.  --Bob

Platinum Elite Contributor

What is the Windows version on the computer with the problem?
Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Durkin Impact Report Designer
www.techbenders.com
royel@techbenders.com
541-343-8129

Hi Roy--

On the PC I am running Windows 7 Professional Version 6.1 Build 7601; Service Pack 1 and I have done all important and recommended updates. The recently purchased Dell Laptop Inspiron 3000 runs exactly the same windows 7 Pro version. Maybe this is a Windows problem even with both running the same Windows software.--Bob

Administrator

Hi Bob,

Due to the SQL issues you are experiencing (not being able to create a new database) then the restore procedure will also fail due to the same issues. Addressing this should be the first course of action you take.

Please try the following:

1. Download and save the ResetSQL.bat file attached to this post.
  2. Run the file
  3. Answer Yes to both questions "Do you want to turn off Password Policy?" and "Do you want to Reset SQL?".
  4. Run ActDiag again and let us know if any further errors are displayed.

Hi Gary--

Thanks to you and Gary for all your assistance and patience. I wish to report that I have finally got it working.  When all else fails, go back to the beginning and try again. I think that I was not fully disabling Bit Defender and may not have turned off the Windows firewall when I did the earlier installations.  Once I did that it tried to install but it stopped because it detected SQL "instances" on my computer and I had to manually remove all the old SQL programs. Once I did that it installed fine, the demo database opened with no password request, and I was able to convert my old databases to Act!2010 pad files.  So now I am trying to learn a little about how to use the newer act version. Can't seem to get it to open with my contacts page; it always opens the welcome page, even though I changed it to contacts in the preferences section. Oh well, I will figure it out, and if I can't I certainly know where to come for help. Best, Bob

Administrator

You're welcome Bob! Glad to hear you're back up and running.

If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to start a new thread.

P.S. You can change the startup view in Tools > Preferences > Startup tab. If you find the preference isn't saving or being applied, then it might be nesasarry to rebuild your preferences file. The following Knowledgebase article explains this process. I would recommend following the manual method. http://kb.act.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/14770

thanks Gary--I will take a look at the article. I was able to make my contacts page be the startup page, but I usually like History to be the startup lower section. For some reason, even though I save the file with History showing, it always revert to Notes on startup. Didn't see a way to change that but maybe it is something I missed. Otherwise it seems to be working OK. --Bob

Bronze Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi Bob,

To make it open with the History tab showing you need to go to the Layout editor for Contacts and edit your Layout so that the History tab is the first one from the left as follows:

Tools | Design Layouts | Contact | Edit | Tabs

Then move the tabs in the right hand pane to the order you want with the History tab at the top.

HTH

David Shaw
Act! Certified Consultant since 2001
Office:    +44 (0)1483 714507
Mobile: +44 (0)7977 567 318
E-Mail:    dshaw@act4u.org