Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Community Home Request Access Read Blogs Share Your Ideas Search Community View My Settings
Copper Super Contributor
Message 1 of 11 (1,826 Views)
Accepted Solution

Networked Computer Can't See Host Computer Database Pad File

Is anyone else having problems networking ACT over Vista?

ACT has been helpful and they have had some excellent technicians spend

alot of time trying to get these computers networked.

However, it is not happening. It has been about 6 months, the networked computer will

get the conncection to the PAD file, then lose it again.  To get it working again with a weak

network link will take the techs a couple hours.

I have (so far) wasted a lot of time in a new business start up trying to get this to work.

It seems it shouldn't be that hard.

My question is whether to punt on ACT and go to another program.  I am interested what

people on this forum think.  Am I missing something?  Should I hire an IT guy? Or is it time

to smell the coffee and move on?

Please use plain text.
Platinum Elite Contributor
GLComputing
Message 2 of 11 (1,903 Views)

Re: Networked Computer Can't See Host Computer Database Pad File

1. When you say "lose the connection", what actually happens?

2. Are there only 2 PCs?

3. Are both on Vista? If not what are the OSs of both server and other?

4. What hardware specs of both PCs?

5. What version of ACT! - full build from help | About ?

If it's your network that's losing the connection, it won't matter what software you use... you'll get the same problems.

Please use plain text.
Copper Super Contributor
Message 3 of 11 (1,882 Views)

1) When you say "lose the connection", what actually happens? /

the networked computer will point to the Pad file for a while, and then it will stop seeing it and it cannot find the pad file.  It will say error message, there is a problem with the share, or just that it cannot locate the PAD file.

2. Are there only 2 PCs? /

yes

3. Are both on Vista? If not what are the OSs of both server and other?

both vista, in fact, both computers are identical and were purchased at the same time about 6 months ago

4. What hardware specs of both PCs?  /

Windows Vista Home Premium/  Pentium R Dual Core Cpu   E5300 2.6 g, memory 6gb, operating system 64 bit    

HP Pavilion a6742p Desktop PC

5. What version of ACT! - full build from help | About ?  /

ACT! by Sage for Financial Professionals Version 11.1.0.183x201
English (United States)
Sage Software, Inc.
© 2009 Sage Software, I

Please use plain text.
GLComputing
Message 4 of 11 (1,878 Views)

When you lose the PAD file, this is in the middle of using it?

When it next happens, can you use Windows Explorer, and see if you can access the host?

Also, see if there are any errors in the Windows Event log on either PC that might show a network failure

Please use plain text.
Copper Super Contributor
Message 5 of 11 (1,870 Views)

When you lose the PAD file, this is in the middle of using it?  /

No, I lose the file on start up.  It may work one day, but the next day when I boot up it will be unable to access or find the PAD file.  It will not lose it in the middle of a session.

When it next happens, can you use Windows Explorer, and see if you can access the host?  /

How?  (sorry)

see if there are any errors in the Windows Event log on either PC that might show a network failure

Okay.

Please use plain text.
Copper Super Contributor
Message 6 of 11 (1,867 Views)

Also, I am looking at the event log and not sure what I should look for?  Curtis
Please use plain text.
Copper Super Contributor
Message 7 of 11 (1,857 Views)

[ Edited ]

But again, my question is, is ACT really capable of networking with Vista on a LAN or is it like Windows Mail on Vista where Act can't handle it and

ACT just doesn't want to admit they can't get it to work.  I have a friend I recommended ACT to and they are in the same situation and they can't get

ACT to network either on a LAN with Vista.  So much for my recommendation.

I have had ACT help with about 5 phone sessions with ACT Technicians probably totalling 6 hours to no avail.  I am a small business, and the inability for ACT to function in a network with Vista has been a problem and a time suck trying to fix it.  The ACT techs are great -  but they have been unable to fix it.

So my question is:  is it really possible for ACT to function in a LAN with VISTA, or is it not possible and ACT is not forthcoming about this?

If the latter, just tell me so I can cut bait.  If it is possible, then I guess my next step is to hire an IT guy locally who knows ACT and Vista to come out and work on it.

Message Edited by Curtis on 08-31-2009 10:15 AM
Please use plain text.
GLComputing
Message 8 of 11 (1,849 Views)

The answer is yes, it's certainly capable.

If it's happening after a startup, it sounds like something in the network is preventing the 2nd PC from seeing the share on the host. This is unlikely to be an ACT! issue.

When it fails, open Windows Explorer on the 2nd machine

Go to Network Neighbourhood and select the Host

See if you can open the folders from there

If not, then ACT! can't connect.

Intermittent issues like this can be tricky to resolve... it can be anything from the cables, router, or Vista setup. If you're not technical, you'll certainly find it easier to get somone who knows networks to have a look at it.

Please use plain text.
Roy_Laudenslage
Message 9 of 11 (1,847 Views)

Are you using a wireless network or wired? Do you have a router? If so, most routers have a built in firewall and you should try turning off any software firewall. Was ACT! installed on both systems running as the local machine administrator? Note that Vista makes a distinction between being an administrator and running a program as an administrator. Even if you are the administrator you don't automatically run programs as the administrator. 

I'm assuming you are using the the ACT! by Sage version rather than the premium version of the ACT! program in which case the ACT! database must be open on the server machine for the other machine to see it. 

One of the first tests I would make when the problem occurs is to make sure the database opens on the server system and then on the second machine,in the ACT! program go to File | Open Database and browse to the pad file for the database on the server and attempt to open the database, it should open. If not then I would suspect some kind of problem with your network setup.

The answer to your main question about ACT! running on a Vista network, the answer is yes. 

Roy Laudenslager
ACT! Certified Consultant
ACT! Report Expert
Tech Benders
royel@techbenders.com
Please use plain text.
dlunceford
Message 10 of 11 (1,845 Views)

Curtis,

I went through some of your case notes and each time the issue was resolved by disabling UAC.  Did you happen to enable UAC since this last worked?

How to Disable User Account Control (UAC) in Windows Vista®

Please use plain text.