Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Community Home Request Access Read Blogs Share Your Ideas Search Community View My Settings
missdeannemb
Message 1 of 6 (1,555 Views)

Move to New Computer (Sage ACT! Pro 2013) with Windows 8

I just purchased a new computer (meets requirements) that is running Windows 8.  Having purchased Sage ACT! 2013 back in December for use on my old computer, I went through the 'move database' 'prepare a move to another computer'.  Then I put the mov file on the new computer's desktop and started the 'complete a move from another computer' process.  The 'complete databased move' window appears, I selected the database file and the database location, entered my username and password, and received the following error message...

"Unable to connect to the database.  Please verify the ACT7 SQL instance is running"

Help, please. 

Please use plain text.
Platinum Super Contributor
gmartin
Message 2 of 6 (1,525 Views)

Re: Move to New Computer (Sage ACT! Pro 2013) with Windows 8

Hello Missdeannemb,

Welcome to the Sage ACT! Online Community!

You'll need to verify that the Microsoft SQL Server program is installed correctly.  Here is an article with instructions for verifying that the 'SQL Server (ACT7)' service exists and is started: KB Article 28216

If it is present and started, attempt to open ACT! and create a new database.  Successful or not? 

If it is not present, this indicates the SQL Server installation failed.  I would uninstall ACT! and SQL Server and then reinstall SQL Server manually.  Here is an article with components to uninstall: KB Article 19408

Once all components uninstalled, reboot the computer and install SQL Server manually using the instructions in this article: KB Article 26994

If errors are encountered during this installation, they will need to be addressed before proceeding.

If no errors, verify the 'SQL Server (ACT7)' is present and started.  If both, continue with install of Sage ACT!.

Greg Martin
Sage
Please use plain text.
MoleyG
Message 3 of 6 (1,380 Views)

I followed all the instructions given by gmartin, but I still am getting that same error.

Any other ideas?

Please use plain text.
Nickel Contributor
ch1p
Message 4 of 6 (1,365 Views)

Hi

Try using the Back-up and Restore As option instead.

Please use plain text.
MoleyG
Message 5 of 6 (1,359 Views)

Thank you so much!

This worked beautifully!

I am so appreciative of your prompt and very helpful response!!!!!

Please use plain text.
Nickel Contributor
ch1p
Message 6 of 6 (1,352 Views)

Hi Moly

Glad to help.

Chip

Please use plain text.