Community
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Mass update of linked contacts

Copper Contributor

Mass update of linked contacts

Hi,

Hopefully someone can help me with this. I have defined address fields on companies to be linked to contacts. Naturally, many of my linked contacts which have been uploaded from other sources have incomplete or incorrect addresses compared with the company record they are associated with.

I know with individual contacts you can update linked fields using Contacts -> Update Linked Contact however I want to do this for all my contacts on the database.

Could someone please advise if this is possible and how to do it?

Thanks,

Platinum Elite Contributor

Re: Mass update of linked contacts

You can update all the contacts linked to a company from the company detail screen, but only one company at a time. Unfortunately there is not a way to do this for all contacts in the database at once. If you would like to see this added to the program, please post your suggestion in the Share Your Ideas Board in this community

Greig Hollister

Note: Effective 6/1/13, Sage no longers provides support for the Act! software

Highlighted
Copper Contributor

You can use it after an import of company field information, or on a regular basis.

After an import of company information, the linked contact fields will be updated.

You can download it here.

Thanks,
Inge van Gemert
ACT! Certified Consultant
The Netherlands
inge@inkey.net
Copper Contributor

[ Edited ]

Is this an official add-on?

It seems to be nice. But I have huge valuable information which I can't play with.

Needs to know it works perfectly. And if you could explain how it works it would be perfect.

Thanks for all.

Nickel Super Contributor

I think it works perfectly, and the programmer is one of the best in the business.  It is not a fly-by-night operation or product.  Basically, it adds a menu item which says "update linked contacts".  Natively in ACT!, you can only update one company at a time.  With the utility, it updates them all with one click.  Brenda

Brenda Dixon
ACT! Certified Consultant
Dixon Consulting Solutions
404-405-4116
brenda@dixonconsultingsolutions.com
www.dixonconsultingsolutions.com
www.GoToAssist.com/sb/dixon (FOR SUPPORT)
Copper Contributor

I have just tested it. I have to say it works perfectly, however, It is a external application, it works apart from ACT, that's means it doesn't create a new bottom or something similar.

Another thing I have notice, it is about when you insert whole the info needed for "log in" on the program, when you press OK, it's starting updating whole the info, so be prepared to do it.

It takes a few time, because it goes one by one, but it works perfectly. Everytime you use it he have to update all contacts.

It should be great it to create like a bottom into ACT, but nothing is perfect.

Thanks for the program.

Using ACT! by Sage Premium 2010 Version 12.0.409.0, Hotfix 3 

After updating over 4,000 contacts manually 3 or 4 times and looking for a long time for a simple, sure-to-work, inexpensive, aftermarket option - I finally figured out I could just use a keystroke/keyboard macro.  I downloaded a program that lets me assign keystrokes by hitting a certain button (if that program is running and knows to watch for the button). After that program was setup, I went back to Act:

First assigned the F2 key as the key to press to update a contact (Tools:Customize: Menus and Toolbars:Keyboard:&Contacts:UpdateLin&ke).  It works while in a contact or while on the contact list and in edit mode.

Second, I went to the list view and put it in edit mode (checked the box above the contact list).

Then, I just triggered a macro that was set to repeat 6,000 times: F2 (to update the record) and DOWN (to go to the next record)

Finally!

For sure, it's something Act should have as a standard feature - or at a minimum have a solution for people!  I've called and written at least 3x.

Now I can stop trying to work around this Act-quirk and do my real job.

(I sent an email just in case that is a better way to reach you.)

I am wondering how to use the add on once it is  installed. Where will it show up or how can I tell Act to run the mass update on linked contacts? Do you have a help or instruction sheet?

Thanks!

Talia Griffin

tgriffin@laffer.com

What program did you find that let you create macros in ACT?

I created the F2 shortcut that you mentioned, then downloaded the free version of MacroToolWorks, created an F2-Down Macro, and set it to run multiple times. As I type this, it is updating over 12,000 contacts for me!!!! Yay!!! Thank you SO much!!!