Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Linkedin & Web Info

Accepted Solution Solved
Bronze Contributor
Accepted Solution

Linkedin & Web Info

Has anyone had a problem using the LinkedIn portion of the Web Info tab?

It appears that the search string structure has changed between the two.

Please let us know if you have figured out how to edit the LinkedIn Web Info.

John Purdy
ACT! Premium 2016 (V. 18)
Main: HP 9470M 8GB, Win 10 Pro, Office 64Bit & Exchange 2013 & Office 365
Remote: Dell XPS Ultrabook with 4GB & Win 10 Pro, Office 365 & Exchange 2013

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Accepted by topic author jnpurdy
‎01-27-2017 05:08 AM
Administrator

Re: Linkedin & Web Info

[ Edited ]

Yes, apologies for that. The original string I posted before editing my post did not work unless you were logged in, otherwise it showed a 404 page and no way to log in (doh!).

There is also an alternative string that works even when you're logged out, however this one is a little more tricky to implement as it requires the use of both first and last name fields:

https://www.linkedin.com/pub/dir/{First Name}/{Surname}

I believe the {Surname} field is only used in the UK versions of Act, and is replaced by {Last Name} in US versions.

I've raised a Defect so that the LinkedIn string can be updated in a future software update.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Administrator

[ Edited ]

Hi John,

It appears LinkedIn has retired the search method Act! was using. This can be fixed by changing the URL string that the LinkedIn uses to search.

This is done from the Web Info tab by clicking Edit Links, then selecting LinkedIn and clicking Advanced Edit. Enter the following URL into the Source URL field, replacing the existing URL string:

https://www.linkedin.com/vsearch/f?type=all&keywords={Contact}

Click OK to save the changes, and check that the LinkedIn search is now working correctly.

Bronze Contributor

Apparently you edited the URL and I was too quick.  The link that was in the eMail update is different than the one below.  The one below works just fine.

Many thanks Gary.

John Purdy
Solution
Accepted by topic author jnpurdy
‎01-27-2017 05:08 AM
Administrator

[ Edited ]

Yes, apologies for that. The original string I posted before editing my post did not work unless you were logged in, otherwise it showed a 404 page and no way to log in (doh!).

There is also an alternative string that works even when you're logged out, however this one is a little more tricky to implement as it requires the use of both first and last name fields:

https://www.linkedin.com/pub/dir/{First Name}/{Surname}

I believe the {Surname} field is only used in the UK versions of Act, and is replaced by {Last Name} in US versions.

I've raised a Defect so that the LinkedIn string can be updated in a future software update.

Administrator

This has been logged as Defect D-05439.
Administrator

It appears that Facebook has also retired the search URL that Act! was using. Below is an updated URL that can be used in place of the old Source URL.

https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q={Contact}

Copper Elite Contributor

Since I use the Social Updates tab in every demo and I do not believe there is any way for me to change the code can I get an estimate as to when we can expect D-05439 to be fixed?

Bob Kennedy
ACC
Kenbar Solutions CT,CA & FL
Highlighted
Administrator

Hi Bob,

I'm sorry, I don't have an ETA on a fix for the Social Updates tab issues at the moment.

The defects ID's for this feature are:

• D-05469 - LinkedIn
  • D-05468 - Facebook

I would suggest demoing the functionality of the Web Info tab in place of the Social Updates tab for the time being, as the affected URLs are easily changed here by clicking the Edit Links button. The only thing lacking is the bookmarking feature of the "Remember This Page" button.

Hi Gary W and everyone else.

As of today 18 February, the new LinkedIn layout simply isn't working with Act! Pro Version 18.2.53.0, Update 4, which I believe is the latest version.

This is a key feature for me, can we assume that the Swiftpage developers are working on it?

Regds Brinley

Bronze Contributor

For LinkedIn, Gary provided the link - https://www.linkedin.com/vsearch/f?type=all&keywords={Contact}

It has been working fine for me.

John Purdy